nineteen

october 27th, 1975 - great hall

"Okay, we are officially inviting you three to our Halloween party this weekend." James says excitedly, making the three girls look at him curiously. Remus glances down at Lorelei, waiting patiently for her response.

"I'm down, how about you Lore?" Lesley asks, not asking Emily, since it was a known fact that Emily would never say no to a party. Lorelei bites her lip in thought.

"Do we get to dress up?" Lorelei asks and James nods in confirmation, making her grin.

"Count me in. We should have matching costumes." Lorelei suggests, making them all smile at the idea.

"I'm going as the devil." Both Sirius and Emily say, giving each other playful glares.

"I want to go as a Witch." Lesley hums and Peter frowns in thought. It was no secret that Peter had feeling for Lesley, which happened to be recuperated.

"This is turning into couple matching, rather than group matching." James points out and Lorelei turns towards Remus with a wide grin.

"What should we do? I'm thinking either gods or rockstars." She hums in thought and he chuckles softly. He didn't mind what costume he wore, the idea of going matching with Lorelei was already good enough for him.

"Lorelei goes as the moon goddess and Remus as a werewolf." Sirius teases, making Remus glare at him for the joke.

"You go as the dog and Emily as the bone then." Remus retorts and Lorelei raises an eyebrow, not understanding the joke, while James burst into laughter and Peter cover his mouth to stifle his own laughter. "Actually, I have an idea."

"Really? Do share." Lorelei asks, her interest clearly having peaked.

"There is this famous muggle couple that were criminals. We could dress as them." Remus suggests and Lorelei smiles approvingly.

"You'll help me pick the fitting outfit then right?" She asks excitedly and he nods in agreement. She leans on to him, resting her head on his shoulder, causing his heartbeat to skyrocket. He couldn't get used to the idea of her being so close to him. "Well, Rem and I have decided then."

"What about you Peter?" Lesley asks hopefully and he smiles nervously.

"A wizard." He hums and Lesley's smile widens.

"So, do you think I should ask Lily?" James asks and a deafening silence settles between them. Remus was debating on whether he should encourage his friend, knowing that the chances of success were low or tell him in advance that his chances were low.

"I mean, if you want." Sirius says, breaking the silence after a while, clearly uncertain about it.

"I appreciate the support." James grumbles, making his friends smile sheepishly.

"Always a pleasure." Peter beams happily, making James playfully glare at him. Remus chuckles, glancing down at Lorelei, who was watching in amusement his two friends get in a playfully argument. He slips his hand into hers, interlocking their fingers. She softly squeezes his hand, making him smile and bring her hand up to his lips, kissing her knuckles.

"We could always go as a queen and her knight." He muses, making her look up at him with a soft smile.

"How romantic. My knight in shining armour. We could do that too. I'm not sure how we'd acquire those costumes in such short notice though. We'd have more luck at going as a bride and groom." She says teasingly, making his heart flutter as a soft blush rises to his cheeks.

"I think we've missed a few steps, prior to become newly weds." He muses and a giggle escapes her lips, shaking her head at him.

"True. You didn't propose, so that wouldn't be right." She hums. He shakes his head and slightly bumps shoulders with her, a giggle escaping her lips.

"Okay, so the party starts at ten in the Gryffindor Commons, one of us will come get you so that you guys can get in." James says, catching everyone's attention. Remus keeps hold of Lorelei's hand under the table, having their hands rest on her lap.

"Sounds like a plan. Won't McGonagall get mad?" Lesley asks with wide eyes and Sirius waves her off.

"She loves us, she'd never get mad at us." Sirius assures her and Emily snorts.

"Who would love you, Sirius?" Emily asks joking, receiving a look from Sirius.

"I'll have you know, everyone loves me." Sirius says confidently, making Emily roll her eyes at him.

"This will be so fun! I genuinely can't wait." Peter exclaims, making Lesley giggle and shake her head.

"You're just going to blackout twenty minutes into the party." Remus points out and Peter huffs, Sirius snorting in amusement.

"Well, you'll probably be high as a kite before the party even starts." Peter retorts, making Peter give a look.

"That's what make the party even more fun, being high from the beginning." Lorelei points out, making Remus' eyes widen slightly.

Somehow, he didn't see her as the type to get high, her delicate frame made him think that she'd probably avoid such substances. He had thought the same when he found out she played quidditch, she was much more petit and fragile looking compared to James, so he had never expected her to be the captain of the team.

"Wait, hold on. Are we really about to go to a party and get high with a bunch of sixteen year olds?" Emily asks, looking at her two friends, who also suddenly realise that they weren't all the same age. Even Remus had forgotten that the three girls were older than them, having bonded so well with them.

"I'm actually turning seventeen in a few days." Sirius points out.

"Yeah. We so are about to do that." Lorelei snorts, amused by the situation.