Chapter 47: Panicked Calls

Caporegimes: Captain or lieutenant of a division within the mafia.

I ended up just going back to my apartment since Jaxon had some of his men at the house. I didn't really ask questions but I'm pretty sure they're caporegimes since he has them in his house and not at one of the warehouses. It's best I'm not there so that no one asks any questions. 

I haven't seen Franco and he hasn't messaged or called so I'm just going to give him time and let him reach out to me when he's ready. 

Since I've had a lot of free time over the last couple months, I started going to the gym in the apartment building. In Italy, working out was a huge part of our regular training so I'm glad to be back at it. I had also found a shooting range to go to as well for practice. I mean not that I need it, but it's not as if I've been as active in the mafia since I've been here. I know that was one of my reasons for coming to America in the first place but I didn't actually realise how much I would miss it.

I shove on my sports bra and leggings and make my way down to the gym. It usually isn't too busy which is what I love about it. I'm so used to the private gyms at home or in the warehouses so I was a little wary of using it at first. However, I discovered that most people go in the morning so it's pretty quiet in the evenings.

I had been working out for a good hour or so when my music cut off in my earphones and my phone started buzzing. Looking down, Winter's name was lit up on the screen. I slow the treadmill down to a stop, catching my breath before answering. "Hey"

"There's someone following us." She rushes out panic in her voice. Why would she phone me for this, isn't there guards with her. 

"Okay, where are your bodyguards, are they close to you? Can you signal something to them?" I ask calmly. She lets out a small cry, "We were at Aspen's and snuck away from them, they don't know where we are! God I'm never doing that again." Her voice is really shaky. 

"Okay, okay I'm coming don't worry where are you?" I say making sure I've got everything before leaving the gym.

"We're in the town over, passed where the races usually are." From what I've heard, that's a really sketchy place with a lot of smaller gangs.  "What the hell are you doing ther- Do you know what, you can tell me later. Just find somewhere that's crowded, a café or restaurant or something, I'll call your brother and we'll be there soon." I instruct her, hoping to calm her nerves a little. 

"No! You can't tell either of my brothers about this, they'll kill me if they find out why I'm here." She replies frantically. Great, if he ever finds out he'll kill her then me for not telling him. I don't even know why she's there yet myself, surely it can't be that bad of a reason.

"Okay I won't, stay on the phone with me, I'm just grabbing my keys and I'll be there as quick as I can." I say walking towards the elevators. I really wish I hadn't left the apartment now, I would've been able to get to them sooner. 

"Shit Aleja there's three if them now and I have no idea where we are, it's just alleyways everywhere." She says panicked. I can hear Aspen's voice in the background but can make out what she's saying. 

"Oh God they've got knives Allie. I don't think you're going to make it in time." Her voice get's louder as she speaks. Fuck fuck fuck. The elevator isn't coming fast enough. I look towards the stairs contemplating if they would be faster.

"Just stay calm okay you've got this Winter. Keep looking for somewhere to go, there must be a restaurant or a shop or something near you." I wait for her reply but only get sounds of a struggle then the line goes dead. 

Fuck this.

I run towards the stairs but go down instead of up. When I reach the garage my eyes search for the SUV. Noticing it between the other cars I waste no time going over. I knew Jaxon would have had Harris following me again. He's so predictable.