26.

The flaws of love do not define us, The carnage of war is not within us.

Savage.

"I can't let them get away with this." I mumbled as I held my mate in my arms, we were currently in our bathroom, I had cleaned away all the blood on his body and made sure he was clean,  then placed him in the tub, which he forced me to get into, not that I needed much coercing anyway. "I know you're angry that they are taunting you and trampling in your territory as if they shouldn't fear you but dont let it get to you." Matty replied and I sighed to the feel of his hands on my body.

"I know but you've gotten hurt twice and now I know they are targeting you as well, I can't stand to lose you and I can't stand watching you come back home bloody." I argued with a growl but he didn't flinch back, he merely sighed and moved back even more so that his back and body were in direct contact with my torso. "Im right here, I will always be right here and I will always fight to get back to you, I promise." He reassured with a smile and I leaned down to press a kiss on his shoulder.

I held my mate closer, I just wanted to feel him next to me, to have his scent engulf me, he was my sanity and my solitude, I wasn't the brute savage with him, and I knew he loved me unconditionally, it's why I had found my resolve to kill the rogue alpha tonight, I would rip his head off and feed on his heart, so that his whole pack would know that my mate was not to be touched, he was mine to protect and cherish.

We stayed like that for an hour longer until Matty was drowsy, I could hear the blaring speakers of the party Rallie had thrown at the pack house, it was only for the wolves who weren't going to war, the rest were getting ready to fight for our home, I lotioned up my mate's body, put him in boxers and my tee, he was out like a light the moment I laid him on the bed. "Gerrit, it's time." I spoke to my beta and closed the link, he would inform everyone else.

I walked downstairs in black shorts only, I was going to lead the hunt for the rogues so I would shift first, papa and dad were relaxed on the couch watching some random show, they looked perfectly at home and peaceful, leave it to my parents to seem was if we weren't under threat from a rogue alpha. "Youre going?" Dad questioned as he looked outside at the crescent moon in the sky, the symbol of our pack, I nodded and he chuckled. "Bring me a pelt or two your baby brother or sister will need one for the room, and may the crescent moon be with you." He stated looking at me with a smile that I knew all too well.

He didn't doubt me at all, he knew I would win this and protect our pack, Xander and Rallie walked in with locked jaws, they could barely contain themselves either. "We found them, they are west of the territory, it doesn't seem like they're getting ready for attack yet but Xander spotted a second encampment a few yards away from them, all shifted meaning they are lying in wait, an ambush." Ralliel explained as we got out of the house toward the forest where all the wolves were, we didn't get into a fight already shifted, that was risky.

"We will circle them, capture their guards first then remove them silently until we get to the nucleus, alpha Xander shall lead on the right, alpha Ralliel the left and I will be in the middle, get in your squads and hunt under the crescent moon." I relayed everything to the warrior wolves through the pack link, they didn't need to respond, I knew they had all listened, we moved in different directions, swiftly and silently, the slightest of sounds could tip off our enemy.

I nodded to the first ten to take position and they broke off from the group, the second did the same unit everyone was in position, to attack and defend, we had completely surrounded them but there was something in the air, barely visible but I could detect it. "Wolfsbane." I mumbled without sound and opened the link. "All of you be careful, there is wolfsbane in the air." I warned and both the alphas grunted in response. "Now." Ralliel's voice blared in my mind as the first rogue guards were killed swiftly and silently, we were west of the territory, the terrain was difficult to trek for outsiders but dad had used it as the perfect ground to do so.

I could see the guards being killed all around me and waited till there was a confirmation from Xander to move forward, Gerrit who was by my side nodded and we moved further in, howls broke through the silent atmosphere, Xander was facing the hidden wolves which he had spotted before, Gerrit moved forward and lunged at the first man he saw, they tussled but he was swiftly killed as another came for him, I dodged any attackers as the battle finally broke out, I wanted to face the alpha.

"Savage." He called out as I finally stood in front of him, he was covered in the darkness of night but the glowing wolf eyes weren't hard to miss and my vision was perfect at night. "I don't know who you are, but I will enjoy eating your heart." I replied as I stood in front of him, a growl tore away from his lips but did not move. "I knew you were a monster but I never expected you would feast on your own kind." He taunted with a chuckle but I knew he was baiting me so I kept my wolf under control. "Come a little closer, so your death may be quick." I whispered and in an instant he lunged for me, fully shifting into his wolf.

I dodged and flipped back only to shift mid air and land on my paws, Blue's fur gleamed in the low moon light, growls echoed all around us but my eyes were focused on the large alpha wolf in front of me, my wolf was larger than his by a considerable amount but I was never going to underestimate him, he didn't attack me just stood there snapping his jaw and growling, he was stalling, and that's when I heard it, the rush of a wolf behind me, I moved away faster than they anticipated, lunged for the wolf before it could land, with my jaws clamped around it's leg I threw it away making it crash onto a tree.

The wolf whimpered just as another lunged for me, I dodged yet again, this wolf was faster, he tried to claw away my front paw but missed, I used my own front claw to slash at his face, his eye was torn out and flesh was torn off as well, I grabbed him with my jaw and threw him at the pathetic alpha who wanted to ambush me, and use numbers, but it wouldn't work, I could fight a hundred of them and still have the urge to rip him apart, when he looked at his rogue pack member there was no remorse in his eyes, he killed the wolf at his feet mercilessly.

Such was rogue life, there was no loyalty, it was him and I yet again, circling each other, he wasn't stalling anymore because it seemed the battles all around us had reached a climax and his rogues weren't winning, they were facing two blood thirsty alphas, so in my own need for blood I crouched lowly and growled, then the rogue alpha lunged for me.

+++

LMJ