Chapter 17

Harry sat motionless on the floor, dazed and bewildered as chaos erupted all around him. People flocked from all directions, shouting and gesturing to each other. A curious crowd gathered to stare and gossip.

Harry slowly began to focus on his surroundings. Gradually he realised that there were familiar faces among the wizards surrounding him. He could see Kingsley Shacklebolt standing guard at the door, barking instructions at Tonks. Mad-Eye Moody was prowling among the crowd of onlookers, his magical eye searching the area thoroughly.

Someone walked up to him and stood by his side. He looked up into the concerned face of Remus Lupin.

'Are you alright?' Lupin asked gently, helping Harry to his feet.

Harry nodded, still speechless.

'Let's get you inside, before the Daily Prophet photographers arrive.'

Harry nodded mutely. He stared around for some clue as to what had happened. His eyes fell on what was left of his ice cream, slowly melting on a paving stone near the spot where Draco had stood, wrestling with Madam Rosmerta.

Draco...where...?

Harry didn't have time to wonder what had become of Draco because at that moment Lupin took him firmly by the elbow and marched him away from the curious onlookers. Someone who looked horribly like Rita Skeeter was trying to duck under the warning tape (Keep Clear - Magic of Unknown Origin) which the Aurors had placed around the scene.

As they passed, a Ministry Witch scooped up the remains of Harry's ice cream and placed it in a glass jar. She sealed it with a tamper-proof spell, and stuck a label on it which read 'Evidence'.

Lupin steered Harry towards the door of the pub. Snippets of conversation drifted into earshot as they passed a baffled group of Ministry investigators.

'...But she never showed any symptoms of Imperius. She must have been one of them all along...'

'Rosmerta? Never! Her husband was killed by Voldemort - she wouldn't...'

Harry began to piece together what had just happened. He frowned as he remembered the peculiar way that Rosmerta's features had transformed for a moment. That had reminded him of something; what was it? ...

He froze with shock as it hit him. The eyes...those awful, hooded eyes. His head filled with images and memories, swarming together to form a complete, terrible picture.Names...golden names on a faded tapestry...He stared in horror at Tonks, who was interviewing witnesses. Another piece of the puzzle clicked into place. A tall, pale woman, shrieking with triumph over the death of his godfather...

'Lestrange...' he murmured weakly.

'What did you say?' asked Lupin, turning to him in surprise.

'It was Bellatrix Lestrange...'

***

Draco's feet hit the ground abruptly, as the feeling of being dragged through the air by his midriff subsided. Disorientated, he lost his balance and toppled sideways along with his companion. They landed in an awkward heap, swearing and struggling to get up.

Eventually Draco managed to roll free of the tangle of robes, and looked up into the furious glare of Madam Rosmerta. She didn't seem pleased to see him.

'You!' she exclaimed, eyes narrowing with fury. 'You fool! What the hell did you do that for?'

Draco was still too amazed at his friendly neighbourhood landlady turning out to be in league with Voldemort to give much of a response. He stood up and straightened his robes, glancing around at his surroundings. They stood in a large and lavishly decorated room. Draco had time to take in the expensive looking furniture, the exotic plants in gilded containers and the huge, glittering chandeliers before Rosmerta drew her wand and pointed it at him. Her expression suggested that she was not preparing to conjure up tea and cakes for two.