FOUR

"Why did we put all our hopes in a box in the attic?"

M I L E S

Daisy, a curvaceous red-head, snickered at me. She was Liam's girlfriend and I hated her as much as I hated him. I was sitting at my desk, watching as Daisy and her friend talked in hushed tones across the room while looking in my direction.

What could they possibly have had to say about me? Apart from the fact that Liam occasionally made me his floor wipe, there really was no excitement that surrounded me. I refocused on my paper in front of me and decided to let it go. It was the second to last period of the day. I could hold out a little longer.

When I heard the bell ring, it almost made me rejoice. I shoved my class work into my backpack and hurried to the door before Daisy and her friends could stop me.

The hallway was crowded with students shuffling from one class to the other. It was a perfect blending mechanism. My next class was History, it was on the opposite end of campus and the building with only three rooms, meaning that hardly any students were around.

"Ah, look who it is," Diego's taunting voice rang from behind me. I tensed.

I didn't even have to turn around to know that Liam, Sam, and Frank were also with him. They traveled together.

I slowly met their expressions of triumph. If I ran, they'd catch me. I was old enough now to know that running from Liam was a bad idea.

"My sister says she invited you to my party next week," Diego neared me.

"Your party?," Liam rose a brow at Diego. He still hadn't fully looked at me, I noticed.

Diego rolled his eyes. "Fine, Liam's party," he amended. "Point is, you're not going."

I laughed dryly. "Wasn't planning on it."

Diego seized my shirt roughly and threw me to the floor. "I don't know what the fuck my sister see's in you," he growled. I looked to Sam and Frank behind him, they were smirking, ready for the show. Liam had a stoned expression. "But whatever it is, I think it's time I beat it out of you."

Not good. Definitely not good.

I shoved away from him roughly and ran, fast. Faster than I'd ran in a while. Before I could get far, though, my arm was yanked back. I looked up and realized that Liam was now holding me in place. Something fierce gleamed in his deep blue eyes. It made me panic.

Without a word, he shoved me to Diego who caught me roughly.

Liam's voice was like stone when he spoke. He rolled his shoulders once. "You shouldn't have ran, Miles." I wanted to kill him for saying my name. I wanted to stab him, in the heart— "I don't like to chase you," he taunted, a flicker of arrogance in his eyes.

"Fucking tell him to get off me," I growled at him.

He arched a brow at Diego who was holding me in place, then refocused his calculated eyes on me. "No."

I thrashed around in Diego's steel grip, which I noticed wasn't as firm as Liam's; but to my inconvenience, just as restricting. I huffed, putting an end to my thrashing. Liam seemed to take pleasure in seeing me defeated.