Track 5 - "The Man, the Myth, the Legend"

The next week at school, word had gotten around that Westley and I had ditched Justin's party early on Friday, and that Justin now had it in for Westley. Some people who were standing nearby during the exchange at the party actually heard what went down between them shared what they heard, but as time went on, the story kept getting more and more ridiculous.

For instance, on Monday, the story was that Justin and Westley had words and I left with Westley soon after. By Wednesday, the story was that Justin and Westley got into a fist-fight, but Westley escaped before any real damage was done. On Friday, everyone was talking about how Justin was in the middle of making out with me in the kitchen when Westley swooped in, threatened Justin with a knife, and scared me into coming with him.

The whole thing was so stupid and outrageous, I wasn't sure which part was crazier—me willingly kissing Justin or Westley threatening anyone.

"You're a legend, West!" Heather laughed, crunching on a carrot stick at lunchtime. "You have fans who think you're gutsy for standing up to Justin and you also have people who think you're a crazy psycho who threatens football players with knives."

"But I didn't even do anything," he said, running his fingers through his hair. "I just smarted off and got Stacie out of there. I don't know what the deal is."

"Dude, you really are new," Brad scoffed, munching on a massive peanut butter sandwich.

Physically, Brad was a big, toned guy, towering over all the rest of us at the table. He had tough features, but a kind smile and a warm laugh, and he was one of those people who didn't really seem to care about what everyone else thought—he talked to everyone and was nice no matter what, so I fully understood why Heather liked him.

"Justin Cooper's family is, like, one of the richest in the county," Heather explained. "So people around here really don't like to get in their way."

"Yeah," Brad agreed. "I mean, even though Justin is the quarterback, it's not because he's the best on the field. Everyone knows that his parents paid off the coach to make it happen."

"In short, none of them are used to not getting their way," Heather finished. "And you're one of the first to stand up to him. Well, besides Stacie... but I don't think Justin counted that as a real 'no'."

I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat. I felt terrible that all of these people were suddenly against Westley before even giving him a chance, but they were willing to believe Justin's version of the story just because his family had such a big say in everything to do with Twin Peaks.

"So what you're telling me is this guy can literally do whatever he wants and all of you just go along with it because his family has money?" Westley raised an eyebrow.

Heather and I made eye-contact.

"It's not just that, Westley," I murmured. "Most of our parents live and work here too. If word gets around that someone's kid pissed Justin off, his parents are the type to call up to the school and then make the parents' lives hell by calling in favors or paying someone off."

Westley frowned at me. "Is last night gonna cause problems for your mom?"

"I don't think so. Mom works in a law office a few towns over, so I don't think they can really do much about it. Besides, I don't think that Justin will want to admit that he got turned down."

"Nah, he won't," Brad agreed. "I heard him telling some of the guys that he's just mad because West interrupted you guys while you were having a moment. He wasn't about to admit that you've been trying to give him the boot all summer."

"Either way, you're a hero in my book, West," Heather stated, raising her juice box in a mock-toast. "To dismantling classism and protecting Stacie Evans."