A Belief in Vision - Part 1

Taemin only believes in the things he can see.

He believes in the Earth's axis because the sun comes up in the morning and down before nightfall. He believes in recycling because pollution is apparent in the black smog that fills the top of his head as he walks the street. He believes in Math because numbers always add up and the solution never changes. He believes in the Korean language because reciting English verses in class is harder than reciting old poems and stories. He believes in a balanced diet because the meat special is not at all special and scary at best, and that it's safer to go with the soup because it looks good, has discernibly cut vegetables and smells a hell lot better too.

"You have a little bit of mustard on your lips, Soojung." He points out, swiping a thumb past the corner of her lips. He grins because he sees her grin and tucks her head in, leaning close just so to bump his shoulder.

"Thanks."

Taemin believes that the twinkle in Soojung's eyes when she mouths 'I love you' a beat later is because she loves him. And he believes he loves her back because he thinks his eyes twinkle just the same.

* * * *

They don't.

And he only realizes this when they are driving home one night, fighting and cursing at each other in the comfort of his car.

There's a troublesome storm out, pelting his windows with huge raindrops but neither of them care as they scream obscenities at each other's expense. Soojung hates that he puts his academics before her, that he forgets dates and special occasions and her birthday. Taemin hates that she only cares for the most frivolous of things—like art class and book club and makeovers. He hates that she nags (screams) and she hates that he forgets (neglects) and really, why were they still together though?

Taemin is so angry he doesn't notice the red light going off or the cloaked figure that begins to step out to cross the street. The rain pelts a thick veil over his window and he only manages to swerve an inch from the passerby before skidding, toppling over and rolling along the abandoned street and then crashing finally against a tree.

He comes to moments later, squints and sees immeasurable shapes. Noises are distant, blurred as blood rushes to his ears, flooding his head with too much at a time. Bright, fuzzy lights of red and blue flashing before him when blinks and tries to make sense of what had happened, where he was and why it'd come to this.

He faintly thinks to check on Soojung beside him, reaching for her in the blur of his vision.

She's not there for some reason but when he lets his hand fall his fingers catch the length of her hair, strangely dry despite it always being smooth and silky. The rain continues to pelt outside, splashing in on the side of his face and on his hand as he tries to grip (pull) her hair.

She's not reacting. She's too quiet.

"Soojung?" he gasps out but she doesn't answer. All he hears is the rush of voices clambering towards them. All he feels is a weight being lifted off of him.

His fingers stay clutched within her tresses as he fades out to darkness.

* * * *

Taemin is immobile and strapped to a bed when he comes to—wheezing for air as though he had not breathed in years. The room is stark white and bright, the sun shining through the open window beside him but he doesn't know this because all he sees is blurred shapes and light.

Someone comes in—a doctor, probably, he thinks—to check on him, stopping by his side with a voice meant to soothe and telling him that he is glad to see he's finally awake.