Chapter 2

After the jukebox fight, there's no more altercations for the rest of the night. Since it's only a Thursday, though the there's a decent amount of bargoers, it's not crowded or insanely busy by any means.

Oliver stays until closing—which is an hour before sunrise—as does almost everyone else. All of us can walk in the sun, even the damned, but dusk till dawn is still any supernatural's preferred solar time. The night hides far more than the day.

And there are many things to be hidden in the city of Blackhelm.

It takes a few hours to clean up since I work alone, and when I leave the building, the sun has just begun to break through the sky, leaving pink and gold streaks in its wake. Though it's summer, I still shiver in the brisk morning air and wrap my jacket tighter around me.

I drop the current spells around The Shadow Empire building and replace them with a single spell that will stop anyone from getting inside, supernatural or not. I don't anticipate anyone breaking in, but it's always better to be safe, especially when I know the bar attracts less-than-savory characters.

In a city as big and bustling with people as Blackhelm, the bar only has a small parking lot, which is now vacant. Preferring walking to driving or taking a bus, I don't even own a car, much like many other people who live in the heart of the city.

It takes about half an hour for me to walk to the condominium building I live at, a high tower that overlooks Blackhelm. Despite living there for the last five years, the doorman still insists on checking ID every time.

"Jade Quinn," he reads, his eyes flickering back and forth from the card to me about ten times too many.

"Same name as it was yesterday morning," I say, cranky. I'm beyond exhausted and want to go to sleep.

"Blackhelm Heights prioritizes the safety of our residents," he drones dully.

"Yes, you said that yesterday morning, too." Despite what I told Oliver, I don't actually hex very many people.

Maybe I should, starting with this wanker.

He holds out my ID card, which I swipe from his hand. "Have a good day!"

Grumbling to myself, I get in the elevator after he pushes the up button. Once inside, I hit the button to my floor and the code that allows me to access it. The elevator goes up, up, up, and then up some more, until I reach the penthouse suite.

I really hate where I live. I don't, however, hate my roommate.

"Hey, you're back late," Eden notes, looking up from the book on her lap. Her feet are curled underneath her, a light pink, fuzzy blanket resting over her. Even with her thick, golden hair piled in a bun and dressed in silk pajamas, she looks just as rich as she is.

And she really, really is.

"There was a fight. Can you believe that?" I ask drily as I shrug off my jacket.

Eden laughs, unfurling her legs and stretching them out. "It's a day that ends in -y, so yes, yes I can."

I walk into the kitchen, pouring myself a cup of water. "How was studying? Get a lot done?"

"Not nearly enough," she says, her tone petulant, and I laugh.

"Why are you in college again? Don't you already have a hundred degrees?"

"Only sixteen," she corrects. "And you know why I have to be in college right now."

A twinge of sympathy warps my heart. "You could just tell your parents to fuck off."