Chapter 6 - Bad day, Kid?

I wake up screaming as a bucket of icy cold water splashed against my skin. I look up, into the familiar blue eyes of my wicked step-father. He laughs darkly as he throws the metal bucket at me, and walks out of the room.

"Bastard." I grumble, standing up. I shiver as breeze seeps into the room from my open window. I quickly run to the bathroom, hoping to get in and have a hot shower before Denton gets here. I realize that I don't have such luck, because David locked himself in as he laughs at my misfortune. I practically scream as I stomp back to my room and shred my clothes and throw on new ones for the day. If he thinks that his little prank will stop me from going to school, he is wrong. There is no way I'm staying with him. No way.

I quickly throw my hair into a messy bun and apply my make up, before slipping on my sneakers and running outside. Denton doesn't usually show up for another ten minutes, but I couldn't stay inside.

The icy water is still bothering me, even though I have long since dried off and changed. It's left me with a chill going down my spine and shivering, Autumn starts soon and the breeze has been picking up. Making these late Summer days cooler. I wait on our front porch and practically tackle Denton when he finally shows up. He laughs as he hugs me. Lexi isn't in the car today, so I get shot-gun.

I look back and see Martin sleeping in the backseat, I get an evil idea and throw my backpack into the back and watch at it lands on his face with a loud 'thump'. He jumps and does a little girly squeal, before glaring at me. His glare is anything but scary, it's more of a joke than anything. It makes me laugh.

"Someone's cheerful this morning." My brother comments, looking at my from the corner of his eye while he drives.

Oh, how wrong is he. Cheerful is the only thing I'm not. I pull at the sleeve of my shirt and stare out the window as we drive.

"So. Okay, listen here." Cassadee starts the moment I walk into the doors of our English class. "I think we should have a sleep over."

"A sleep over?" I haven't been to one of those in years, not since my mother passed.

"Yep." She smiles, "You and Alek can come over and we can have a movie marathon, and then Alek will leave." She looks over and gives him a look which to me looked like 'yes-you-will-be-leaving' She turns back to me and smiles "Then, me and you will have some female bonding time."

"Cool, sounds like a plan. When?"

"Tomorrow, we will go to my house straight from school, so make sure you bring enough clothes to last the weekend. And if you want you can sleep over Sunday too and we can come to school together."

"Yeah, I like that Idea." I agree. "Do you think sometime during the weekend you can help me look for a job?"

"You need a job?" Alek perks up, pulling his chair closer to Cassadee. "Because, I can totally hook you up. My uncle owns a little restaurant. Cassy and I both work there and they need another waitress."

"That would be so awesome!" Cassadee claps, "You can totes work with us."

It would be cool and I would be spending less time at home, which is all I really want. I agree to their plans and we start talking more about the weekend. Only to be interrupted.

"Miss Blues, Miss Pierce and Mister Zolt." Mr.Green coughs, "I don't know if you realized, but we are in the middle of class. You know, English?" He shakes his head. "We were discussing the chapter you were supposed to be reading last night, would you explain what happened in the book, Miss Blues?"

"Of course." I say, looking at my friends from the corner of my eye before facing the teacher. "In the first chapter, which we were supposed to read last night. Sayuri starts to explain her life from the very begining. Speaking about how she became a Geisha. She tells us her name from childhood was Chiyo. She talks about her mother, who had the same blue eyes as her and her father. Explaining why she had water in her, which I guess has to do with her spirit and the color of her eyes. She also explains what happens to her mother and why doc-"