𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎

As soon as I enter the dark and eerie room which the Family Head was waiting for me in, I dip down to the ground and bow. Eyes averted to the old tatami mats, which feel like they will crumble under me if I do anything wrong.

A cough, and a few steps later, a cold hand is running along the edges of my jawline. "Well, well, well. What do we have here." Akito yanks his hand so that I must look at him dead in the eye.

I've seen those eyes I know I have. I can't remember when. And then it hits me, that woman who I met the first time I came to the Main House. They mirror them so perfectly. "Aren't you just a peach."

If only my heart would slow down, it's so racing so fast I worry it will explode. But there is nothing I can do to calm down. All of my instincts are telling me to run, but I cannot.

"Tell me, Yuihiso, are you afraid of me?" He says, coughing into my face at the end.

With lips quivering, I nod my head. What else is there to do when I dare not speak a word?

Laughter erupts from the man, making him look even more insane. "And I thought you'd be a threat to me. No, you're just a sad, doormat woman who knows her place."

You mustn't act up, Yuihiso. Otherwise, you'll end up dead. I tell myself as the words of his sting me.

"Do you love Hatori?" Is what comes next from Akito. I get the impression that he acts as if he owns Hatori. And that he has an intense jealously. Or at least, that's what I think.

"No," I gulp, "sir."

He eyes me as he backs away. The look on his face tells me to elaborate.

"And even if I did, I would never act on those feelings. It would be wicked for me to do so. I am already engaged to a Sohma. And Hatori is my employer, that in itself would make a relationship and feelings disgraceful." So I do, I elaborate, hoping to add to my case.

"Hmmm..." I plant my whole body back in a bowing position so that I won't have to look at those wicked and sickening eyes. "Did you say you were to be married to a Sohma?"

"Yes, Hanako Sohma. The family he belongs-"

"I know exactly who Hanako Sohma is. And I know of his family." He cuts me off. "Let me see..."

A laugh once again surfaces. This one is much quieter, which makes it all the more frightening. "I'll make a deal with you, one so that you can keep that pretty head of yours."

"A deal?" I barely form the words.

"Yes. You see, it would be unnecessary for me to have your memories wiped since you are to become a Main member soon enough. But, you must follow through that promise you made, to never act on any feelings of romance towards him. Otherwise, there might be some bloodstains on the floor. " He explains.

My whole body succumbs to trembling. I feel like a child who is about to receive punishment. But this is far greater than a parent threatening you with a few lashes. No, Akito speaks of death.

"I understand."

"Leave. Now. And I will have people keeping an eye on you, Yuihiso. So remember the deal, and follow it."

Outside of the room, I collapse onto the floor, trying my best not to cry. But fear has taken the better of me. "Well, that was quicker than I thought. And, from the looks of it, it went better too."

"Better? Better than what? I just made a deal with the devil!" I whimper.

"Come, let's get you some tea and try to calm your nerves." He helps me up and takes me into another private room.

"I was afraid that Akito was going to spill blood. Your blood, specifically." Pushing open some of the sliding doors to let in some cool air, he admits.

"No, but he has threatened me with it." I croak.

"Do you wish now that you had just had your memories suppressed?" His comment catches me off-guard. Do I? Do I wish I had never met Hatori? The only answer that keeps coming back to me is-

"No. I'm glad my memories have not suppressed. Hatori has given me some hope that things can get better for me. He has made me feel wanted, which is something I have not felt in a while." I admit.

"Well, then why don't you tell him you love him and marry him instead?"

"Because then Akito would kill me. He told me I could keep my memories. More importantly, I could keep living if I didn't develop feelings towards Hatori or act on them." I cough out.

"You weren't kidding. You did make a deal with the devil." Shigure smirks. "Akito plans on trapping you in this. You better hope Hanako will stay as loyal to you as you have to be now."

"I should have let my memories go down the drain. Because even though I don't love Hatori, this whole situation just- Argh! I can't even explain it." I cry, flopping down on the table, head in my hands.

"You don't have to explain it. I understand what you're trying to say. Akito's words of loving Hatori now make your mind ponder over whether or not you like the man. But no matter how many times you say you don't, you can't help but feel like you do." Who is this man? Why does he seem to know everything about me?

A maid silent comes in and places tea on the table and leaves just as silently. "What does Akito want from me? I might not be the smartest human, but I can tell that I will end up used by him. That, that Akito sees me like a marionette."

Laughter, so similar to the laugh of insanity from Akito, spills out of Shigure's mouth. I catch myself trembling, even more, making the cup in my hands shake like an earthquake. "You catch on quickly. I'm sure Akito will be furious to see that you aren't as easy to use."

I can't tell you any of the emotions racing through my veins, like the blood from my heart does. Why? Because they are unfamiliar to me. Which scares me so much, the cup of tea shatters in my hands.

Tea burns my legs and hands as it drips down over me, making my hands sting all the more, along with the cuts from the glass. However, the pain is not what phases me. Instead, it is the billion and one thoughts that run rampant in my brain.