18

In an instant, Davina feels an overwhelming sense of power fill her body as soon as she enters the Seelie Court. The sensation was like a high she had never experienced before. A thrum filled her body as she felt the thrill. When Jace glanced at Davina, he noticed that she was surrounded by a glow. Observing Davina as the glow engulfs her and a circlet of gold forms about her head, a teardrop gem rests atop her forehead, Jace watches in amazement as the glow engulfs her. There was no doubt in Jace's mind that she looked every bit the princess she was born to be. 

Davina walks into a tent with sheets made of live butterflies as they sway in the wind. The wings were fluttering and, out of instinct, Davina raises her hand, causing the curtains to part before she enter. 

"We mourn those in the path of souls," Meliorn says. "Isabelle, I see ou brought a friend and the princess. Your highness"

Meliorn dips his body into a deep bow to Davina, who nods her head in return to acknowledge his recognition of her status as royalty. 

"Are you here to deliver a message, your highness?"

"I am here to ask questions of you, in hopes that you will answer them truthfully with no deception," Davina 

"I shall answer the questions with the knowledge I hold your highness," Meliorn answers.

"The information we want will cost you nothing," Isabelle cuts in.

"Knowledge can be the most precious thing of all," Meliorn replies. "Ask away. We can discuss the price of information later"

"There shall be no price," Davina says. "You shall answer your princess truthfully on pain of death"

"Yes your highness,"

"Is it true my mother, the queen, has broken off communications with the Clave?" Davina asks.

"You've heard that's the case?"

"Yes," Davina says, her eyes piecing Meliorn. "Does it have anything to do with the Scouts that were sent after Valentine?" 

"Is there another reason you can think of?"

"Butterflies can only mean one thing. Fair Folk are in mourning" Jace says.

"How do you know our customs?" Meliorn asks.

"Apparently, I'm not the only Shadowhunter who enjoys the company of a Fair Folk" Isabelle's eyes flick between Jace and Davina, the latter not noticing as she looks at the butterflies curiously.

"Maybe if more Shadowhunters exhibited such good taste things would be different today," Meliorn says.

"So you believe Valentine killed them?" Davina asks. 

"If you know so much, maybe I should be asking you"

"If Valentine killed the scouts, surely you should want to stop him. Not break the Accords?"

"Perhaps the Accords don't provide equal protection for all Shadow Realms. Perhaps all threats don't affect all of us the same way" Meliorn says. "You shall see the inequality of being part of the Shadow World soon, your highness"

"Valentine threatens everyone," Jace says.

"Those who antagonize an enemy stand to lose more"

"Which is another way of saying you'll side with whoever wins. I promise you, that will be us"

"I'm sure you believe that"

A chime of a phone breaks the staring match between Jace and Meliorn, Jace looks at his screen. His expression turning to one of concern and anger as he reads the messages. 

"Damn it, Alec"

"What?"

"Clary snuck out of the Institute," Jace says.

"And yet you're blaming our brother? Fascinating," Isabelle says.

"Your highness," Meliorn says and Davina turns. "Be careful, there are still many who would see you dead to hurt your mother"

Davina takes the hands of Isabelle and Jace and closes her eyes. Gold engulfs them and they find themselves outside of Greenpoint Antiquities. 

"How did you know how to do that?" Jace asks.

"It's like instinct," Davina replies. "The more I learn, the quicker it comes to me"

Davina leads Jace and Isabelle towards the back entrance of the building, where the fire escape was. Alec was exiting from the back of the building, meeting the trio halfway.

"Where's Clary?" Davina asks. 

"She's gone," Alec says.

"What do you mean "gone"?" Jace interrupts. 

"She and Simon got arrested when I was securing the fire escape. I got distracted,"

"The mundane was here?" Jace's tone was getting increasingly angry. 

"Simon? He's gone, too?"

"It was an unmarked car. I don't know where they took her,"

"What did you do, Alec?"

"Hey," Davina snaps. "This is not on Alec, Clary makes her own decisions. Alec left the institute to protect her. It's not on him! Now help us or return to the institute"

Jace begins digging through Clary's bag, completely ignoring Davina's truthful comments. Davina rolls her eyes and turns to Alec, placing a comforting hand on his arm. Alec offers Davina a small, grateful smile. 

"Damn it. She's not showing up. We need to parabatai track"

Alec and Jace lock hands, closing their eyes as an orb forms around their hands. Davina grabs Clary's discarded backpack and grabs Clary's sketchbook, clutching it tightly in her hands. Isabelle watches curiously as Davina's eyes begin to glow green before her eyes fall closed.

"Alec, concentrate. Alec!"

"I'm doing it. She's not showing up"

The sound of rushing water fills her ears. Davina tries to focus in on where they are, images of a golden sign flashing through her vision as she tries to focus. 

"They're near water," Davina says and they look at her.

"How do you know?"

"I just do"

The conversation is interrupted by Isabelle, who has just returned from a phone call she had just made. 

"Just like I thought. She wasn't arrested,"

"It was your job to look after her" Jace says.

"I did my best, Jace"

"Well, then maybe your mother was right, and your best just isn't good enough"

"Jace!"

"Hey! Are you so blinded by your feelings for Davina, you've lost sight of us? Clary snuck out. I went after her... to protect her. I did nothing you haven't done a thousand times before"

"Yes, you did. You lost her"

"Jace, enough!" Davina snaps. "Stop acting like a child. This is not Alec's fault. Now lets go"

 Now lets go"