❇Chapter 3❇

Ashton's POV

I know I said earlier that there are only 3 solid women in my life but this pizza girl I met only 2 days ago has decided to create a space for herself and make herself number 4. Okay that's not true but then again she's been on my mind all day every day.
       Today's Monday, the first working day of the week and I have a board meeting in the next 20mins. I'm the CEO of E-posh Magazine. E-posh delivers you with the latest news, gossips, fashion trends, food, health discoveries and sports.
     This month we're making a special edition for women and that's why I went on a trip with Jasper and Eric. Eric being a big time professional photographer and Jasper operates and agency for models.
I pick up the phone and ring up Angela my assistant twice, meaning I need her urgently.
"Good morning Sir, didn't see you come in I'm sorry. Here's your coffee; black with no cream and sugar, your documents for the board meeting that's gonna start by 10am and the files of the application for a new editor-in-chief", Angela finished in a haste.
"Angie, breathe". Angela has been my secretary for a while now and I like her because she's a genuine soul. If I ever want to settle, it could be with someone of her nature. Although she's somewhat too tame so I'd rather have the fire, chemistry and spark. That's if I ever decide to marry tho.
"Thanks for briefing me. If my mother calls tell her I'm in a meeting and that I'll call back" I say as I pick up my coffee and head to the boardroom.
The meeting is about to begin and the first person that walks in is the newest board member; James Reed. I'll admit that he helps bring new ideas and that's a good thing but I hate that it feels like he's always trying to get my job.

"Phillips" he nods. "Reed" I reply focusing on the documents in front of me. "You know for a young man like you, you sure know how to keep a company growing" James interrupts. "What are you talking about?" I asked losing interest in the documents before me.
     "Well you know people say what an older person would see while sitting down a younger one would never be able to see even if he jumps. It's an African proverb I guess. Maybe that's why I can see some little grey hair on your hair" James said rubbing his chin mischievously. I didn't care what that meant cos I knew he was trying to get under my skin. "You better keep your words to yourself if you can't speak straight" and with that other members of the board trooped in. By 11am we were done and we all went about our business for the day.
     As expected, my mother called and only her. I was disappointed when Angela said no one else had called. I expected that Amber would have figured out my number written on the side of the phone pack by now. Clearly she didn't. Maybe I should just pay her a surprise visit with some pizza that would be nice. I'd say "Hey, remember me? Ashton. I was thinking we could be friends, what do you say?" Nope that's just lame. I don't really care about her anyway. Ugh! Who am I kidding, Ashton Phillips, friends with a girl l? Now I really need to take a break from all this work.
     I ring Angela for my break and she immediately walks in with a message from my Mum saying I call her back. "Thanks. Take care of the office I'll be back soon and don't let anyone into my office for any reason" I state clearly and head out.
     As I take the elevator down to the last floor I bump into someone on my way out, Natalie. It's sad that some women just can't take no for an answer. Worse of they are ready to betray family for a man. Anyway she was worth sleeping with once, a second time won't hurt but it's just not on my list so no.
      "What a lovely surprise Ashy" Natalie purred. "Natalie cut the surprise act, you very well know I own this building and so I work here. And before you even ask, my answer is still no. And for the love of God stop calling me Ashy! and if it's that hard for you to comprehend then it's definitely not too late for you to go back to high school". There. Point clearly taken since she looks horrified by my outbursts.
     Some minutes later I'm in a Chinese restaurant 5 mins away from the office. As I wait for my order I dial mum. " At least you remember your mother" she speaks after the first ring. "Mum you're being dramatic, I didn't forget you I've just been busy. What about Dad?". "He's fine, at work right now obviously and so am I Mr." she replies playfully. "Too busy for your beloved Anthony?" I use my middle name and she laughs "I'll always have time for my baby boy. I know you don't want to hear this right now, but you need to settle down. Find a good girl and stop messing around besides I really want some grand babies and soon at that". Here we go again. "I mean if it's the babies your after I can arrange for that ASAP" I tease. "Ashton Anthony Phillips!"she yells through the phone. "I'm joking okay. I'm just not ready. And quit talking like an old woman you're young and sexy *gags* and that keeps John on his toes" I can tell she's smiling on the other end.
      "Ashton did you just call me sexy? Your father's gonna have your head when he finds out you're trying to woo his wife" we both laugh at that. After a few more minutes I end the call. A waitress comes to get the bill and I pay immediately but she's still waiting looking at the paper that contains the bill like it's something else. I check the back and find out that it has her number. Her name tag says Ivy. I gesture for her to bend over a bit and push her hair to the back of her ear, " Sorry Ivy, I don't do sluts"

🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇🖇

     As I walk into the office after lunch, Angela tells me Amber called and wanted to see if I was in. Now I wish I was when she called. Anyway she'd call again if she really wants to see me. After that work pretty much absorbed me.
    I closed at 5pm and told Angela not to over work herself since she decided she'd stay behind for a while and left. On my way back home I receive a text from Eric and Jasper. I almost forgot. Today's Margaritas Monday. Something we made up on our last trip. I get home to see the guys playing games and since they didn't notice me I go straight to my room to rest for a while and freshen up before we go to the bar.
     "Hey man, you ready?" I asked tapping Eric's head. "Bro what did you do that for!" Eric whined. "Quit being a pussy and let's go" Jasper intruded switching off the TV and grabbing the keys.
     "Okay as usual, someone has to be sober, who is it gonna be?" Jasper asks and we both respond at the same time "Eric!". "Yea um no. I'm getting laid tonight so I'm gonna be pretty wasted" Eric counters munching on a chocolate bar. "Where did you even get that from" I ask in an attempt to grab the chocolate bar from him. "Not so fast Ashy". He knows I absolutely hate that nickname. "Well this sweetheart was calling me firm the fridge, can you imagine!" Eric finished with fake surprise. Stupid.
     After all the argument, it was decided that I would be the designated driver and I'm not happy about it one bit . We hit the club soon and sure enough it's already buzzing with music and so much energy. I go straight to the bar to get my first and probably only drink for the night and guess what? The bartender happens to be Amber! "Hello beautiful" I say giving her my signature smirk. "What can I help you with lover boy?" she responds in a low sultry voice. I have a feeling this is going to be the best sober night ever.

A/N
I'm so sorry I haven't updated, at a point I didn't think I wanted to publish the book cos after reading it again a lot of what I wrote when I was younger doesn't go along with my beliefs now. So I'm still gonna update it every now and then but it will be really slow cos I hate typing and I keep having to change a lot of things🤦🏾‍♀️. That being said, thank you to those who still read it and have stayed so long, y'all are the real mvps! Hope you like it!🤗