TWENTY-FIVE

SPORTS
━━━━━━(●'ω`●)━

SUMO LAYS SPRAWLED LAZILY across Connor's lap on Hank's couch, his big doggy tongue lolling out of his white mouth. You stare at the large creature curiously, wondering why humans find big dogs like him so cute when they could easily become dangerous.

"Fuck yeaaa!" Hank cheers, raising the retro ps4 controller in his hands to the air, "take that, Con!"

Connor rolls his eyes and grins brightly, "You got lucky!"

You watch them curiously. They're playing a video game called Mortal Kombat released in the mid-20-teens and they both seem to be getting very competitive... It's a little past 1 in the morning and both of your partners are lightly tipsy.

Maybe you should be relieved that Hank hasn't drunk himself to unconsciousness.

"Rematch," orders Connor, a silly grin on his face, "and I'm gonna smoke you this time!"

Sumo quietly ruffs from Connor's lap. The elderly Saint Bernard lazily stretches his front legs and shuts his eyes, a loud snore leaving his parted lips.

Strange. And these creatures are known as man's best friend?

"Yea, yea, yea," Hank grins and picks a different fighter, "you're just askin' to get your ass handed to ya, huh kiddo?"

The match starts up again and both the Lieutenant and Connor furiously mash the buttons on their controllers. You glance toward them and notice the serious expressions on both of their faces.

The Lieutenant's expression is dark. His thick eyebrows are bunched together and his head is angled down slightly, nearly as though he's a bull charging at a red sheet.

Connor, on the other hand, looks at peace like he's discovered the true meaning of his existence or has ascended into Nirvana. He nibbles on his lower lip in concentration and he sucks on the inside of his cheeks -- a movement that sharpens the angle of his cheekbones.

You stare at him for an especially long moment, fascinated by the new expression.

Hank's TV screen flashes red, "K.O." it says, and Connor dramatically covers his face with his hands.

Hank cackles, "Take that, you little punk!"

"You suck," Connor pouts cutely, "you won't even go easy on a kid like me... Is there only cruelty in your heart, Hank?" He flutters his eyelashes and stares at Hank intensely.

Ah... Is that what humans call puppy-eyes?

Hank scoffs, "Hey. You weren't goin' easy on an old man like me, little bastard."

They both crack a smile and return their gazes to the television screen. You stare at them in silence (from where you sit on your own chair), and quietly clear your throat. Both of your partners look over at you curiously.

"May I..." you pause and frown. "...Can I please have a go?"

Connor stares at you in dumbfounded silence. His eyes widen and he looks like someone's just told him that the Earth is a simulation.

Hank simply nods like it's the most normal thing he's ever been asked, "Uh-huh. C'mere, I'll sit the next rounds out."

He stands up and, as you hesitantly approach him, passes you the controller. He walks around you and plonks himself on your previous seat, leaving you to sit next to Connor.

You're not really sure what to do... Hesitantly, you take your seat and hold the controller in your hands. Your thumbs feel awkward around the buttons... Truthfully, you're not really sure how to hold it correctly.