twelve.

SELCOUTH | 6.2
"DUDE, THAT'S MY MOM"
Edinburgh, Scotland | 2018

2"DUDE, THAT'S MY MOM"Edinburgh, Scotland | 2018

ATHENA STARED AT HER DRINK AND SIGHED. At this point, she could just go back to the United States and just get tossed in a cell. Then she'd get out on good behavior and could live on Tony and Pepper's couch for the rest of her life. Or maybe she could stay with her mother and the two of them could actually bond over the twenty-two years that they had lost.

None of those options were appealing to Athena because all she could think about was Wanda. It was as though she had this entire timeline in her head and now it was gone with a simple, I can't. She saw no future, no purpose. She felt numb besides the constant pain in her chest where Wanda used to be.

The sound of a chair scraping beside her takes Athena out of her thoughts. She looks up to see her mother taking a seat in the chair beside her. A scoff escaped Athena as she stared ahead at the bar.

"How'd you find me?"

"Wanda called me," Freya says, "She asked if I had seen you, to which I replied no. Then she told me that you had been missing for nearly a year and that no one has seen you."

"That would be correct," Athena says, downing the bourbon in her glass. The bartender comes over and instantly refills her glass, causing her to smile as she reaches out to drink it, but Freya's hand stops her.

"Athena," she says firmly, "Stop."

"Stop?" Athena asks with a laugh, "It doesn't have any effect! I have been drinking for at least three days straight and I have felt not even a buzz. So no, I don't think I'll stop."

Freya pushes the drink away from her and Athena feels herself getting annoyed, "You reek of booze dear. I'm telling you to stop for that reason. And the fact that you used your charmspeak on an entire bar."

"It's not like I used it to harm them," Athena says reaching out to grab her glass of bourbon, "Just to get free drinks and to pretend that I don't exist."

Freya watches as she drinks the entire glass of bourbon. Upon noticing the empty glass, the bartender walks over to refill it, but Freya stops him.

"Close her tab," she tells him.

"But she told me to keep pouring her drinks no matter what," the man tells her.

"And I'm telling you to stop pouring those drinks," Freya states firmly, "Am I clear?"

"Yes," the bartender says before scurrying away.

"Charmspeak to undo charmspeak. Clever," Athena deadpans as she looks at Freya, "Maybe you would have been a good mother."

"You proposed, didn't you?" Freya asks and Athena falls silent instantly. The disapproving look that Freya had been given her instantly softens, "Wanda said no."