ⅲ. complete freaks

Three girls walked out of the Port Angeles theater late Friday evening. Diana didn't even remember when she was invited, and she definitely didn't remember saying yes. Still, here she was, suffering the company of one Jessica Stanley.

"I don't get why there are so many zombie movies." Bella shuddered. Diana shrugged and handed Jessica her shopping bags.

"It's, like, a metaphor, for crass consumerism or something," Jessica said, as they began their trek to the parking lot.

When she sighed, Bella glanced at her, "Not that you'd know anything about consuming. You didn't buy anything today." Jessica finished, exasperatedly.

"I bought something," Bella defended herself.

"Socks don't count. 'Course, I was surprised you even called."

"I've been kind of... out of it," Bella said, distractedly. Diana just continued walking, silently.

"Kind of? I mean, at first, I was worried. Then I'm like, okay, she's still bumming? It's not like I wasn't going through things, too. Like, Mike deciding he wanted to 'just be friends?' That was really hard and-"

"Look, breakups are hard- yada yada ya...we're fine though, aren't we?" Diana shrugged, switching her own bags to her other hand.

"Okay, sure, but-" Jessica tried continuing her statement, but a man's voice interrupted her rant, "How about a ride girls?"

Diana chuckled and shook her head, but Jessica looked freaked out and Bella seemed to fade out of reality. A group of men on motorcycles sat across the street, cat-calling the girls. Jessica stepped in front of Bella, seemingly snapping her out of whatever thoughts she was thinking.

"Come on," Jessica said.

Bella shook her head and looked towards the men again, "I know them... I think." Diana's eyes widened slightly, she didn't like where this was going. Had it been just her? She'd most definitely hop on for a ride, but Bella wasn't her, Bella was fragile. Besides, Edward would kill her for allowing such a thing to happen to his soulmate.

"Can we just go-" Jessica tried again, grabbing Bella's arm.

"I want to see something," Bella shook free of her grasp. Much to Jessica's frustration, Bella began to cross the street toward the men. Diana quickly shoved her bags at Jessica and followed.

"Alright, we got takers." One of the guys announced, watching the girls walk towards the group.

"Bella," Diana muttered, "-this isn't a great idea."

Diana's warning seemed to work momentarily, Bella paused and took a step back. But, just as Diana was thinking she'd turn around, she started forward again. With a newfound determination. Diana started to worry when she noticed that Bella was almost smiling as they reached the men.

Then, Bella stopped abruptly, a frown forming, and she muttered, "You're not them."

"We'll be whoever you want, honey," the guy said. Another biker pulled up next to him on his motorcycle, "Ready for a thrill ride?" he smirked, holding out his hand towards Bella.

She hesitated, then muttered, "I can break promises, too."

Diana raised a brow at her friend, the second guy looked confused as well, "...Okay."

Bella got on the bike with forced determination. And Diana bit her lip, wondering what brought on the recklessness.

"Bella!" Jessica shouted.

Diana took a deep, unnecessary, breath, "So, we're doing this then," she muttered, getting on the first guy's bike. He tried to turn towards her but she slapped his arm, "Nope."

His shoulders slumped, but he turned and revved his bike.

"Diana!?" Jessica shouted again.

The bikes lurched forward, going way too fast. Diana who had ridden a motorcycle before was not quite as frightened as Bella, who looked like she hadn't. Diana could see the look of regret forming on Bella's face. She wanted to stop them, but she gave Bella a few more moments.

Suddenly, with a look of terror in her eyes, Bella yelled, "Stop- stop! -STOP!"

The bikes abruptly pulled up short, and the men were quick to cover their actions, "Hey, we didn't force nothin' on you."

"Of course you didn't, gentlemen, thanks anyway though," Diana said, helping Bella off the bike. The guys revved their bikes before speeding away. The girls watched them for a moment, then turned to one another. Bella had a disbelieving look on her face, "I can't believe I- you didn't have to do that with me."

"Of course I did," Diana laughed, "Friends stick together," at Bella's uncertain gaze, Diana chuckled, "Even when one decides to joyride on the back of a stranger's motorcycle."

They shared a laugh, then turned and headed back to where they had left Jessica. They approached their friend cautiously, and she didn't drop her glare as they sidled up next to her, "What the hell is wrong with you two?"

She shoved Diana's bags back into her hands. Bella looked back towards the motorcycles, staring for a minute before she shrugged and muttered, "I thought I saw something."

"You... are insane! Or suicidal." Jessica freaked.

"The more dangerous it was... the more real it was," Bella muttered, this time more to herself. Diana looked at her in concern and nudged her, "Bella?"

But Jessica interrupted her, "So, what, you're like adrenaline junkies now? Go hang- gliding or bungee- jumping. Don't be complete freaks," Jessica shuddered, before storming off in the direction of her car.

Diana chuckled, then she noticed Bella hadn't looked up from the ground, "Hey, she just doesn't understand-"

Bella suddenly turned to her with a determined look, "Wanna hang out tomorrow?"

Diana smiled slightly, nodded, and slung her arm over Bella's shoulders, as they walked to Bella's truck.

⎿✶⏋

The drive back to Bella's was quiet. And that was another thing Diana liked about Bella, she was comfortable with silence, she didn't feel the need to fill it with awkward small talk. The girls focused on the forestry surroundings, the trees, and the stars.

Diana could feel the itch at the back of her mind, the feeling of wanting to run for miles and miles. She also had the strange yearning to explore, she was sure she had heard wolves the other night, and curiosity was killing her.

Diana pulled into the driveway in front of Bella's house and parked. She handed the keys to Bella as they got out.

"You're gonna walk home? I could drive you," Bella said, stifling a yawn.

Diana chuckled and shoved her hands in her back pockets, "No, get some sleep. I don't live very far from here, I'll be fine."

Bella shrugged, "Alright, see you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow."

Diana watched as Bella shuffled inside and closed the door. Once she heard the click of the deadbolt, she turned and took off into the night. She pushed herself and ran faster, all too soon she was 'home'.

She came to a stop and sighed, the Cullen household looked colder than ever.