Chapter 1

"Hey, don't forget your backpack," Suanne uttered as Jaden ran back to his mother, grabbed his backpack from his mother's hands, and then ran back to join his sister.

Suanne sent her kids off to school, her son Jaden, eight, and Shannon, fourteen. They were good kids. She could not ask for any better, considering all they had been through in life. It had been three years that their father left them. She finally had her divorce and was glad to move on with her life. Their father was never a good man, so they were all delighted to be rid of him. She never did think she would ever see him again because of the way he left, in the middle of the night, leaving her there to die. But that was the past, and she wanted to work on her future. She had no desire to dwell in her past.

Now Suanne had a stay-at-home job because she wanted to be there for her kids. She never expected their father to send money for his kids, so not getting any each month was no surprise. But they managed. She was somewhat able on her own to handle everything.

Suanne moved from the front door, closed it, walking into the kitchen, and made breakfast. It was her routine. Get the kids off to school, then have breakfast, then do some work. Having an at-home job allowed her to make her hours the way she wanted, which she liked. She could work as much or as little as she wanted or needed. It suited her. Being alone to raise two kids was not easy. But it was better than being with her ex. Anything would be better than returning to what was, something she would never do again.

Suanne took her bowl of cereal and walked over to the living room. Their home was not extremely big, but it was nice and big enough for her family. Everyone had a bedroom upstairs, and the living room, kitchen, and dining room were downstairs. They had three bathrooms, two upstairs and one downstairs. But it was a lovely and modern home, in a community with many other parents and children. The school was not too far, which she loved because her kids could walk with their friends over to the school. That was a healthy exercise for them. Although they lived not too far from some prisons, she never worried because criminals never escaped, and if one managed to escape, why would they remain around the prison? She felt secure living there, been there for five years now, wonderful community and good people. She never thought about moving.

Suanne turned on the television. Sitting on the couch, she ate and watched the news. It was a part of her routine each day. She liked to know what went on in the world. Why not? It allowed her to see how great her life was because she did not have it as bad as others in the world.

Suddenly a hand with a knife was at her throat, and someone uttered, "Don't move."

Suanne did not move. She felt paralyzed by the knife at her throat. She could not see the blade but could see the end of the brown handle of the knife, which appeared to have some red residue. She did not wish to know what that was. Fear crept inside her at who this was and what this person wanted with her. Her thoughts went to her ex. She prayed that it was not him because she knew what horrors he was capable of doing. Her eyes were still on the TV, as it started a special announcement for their local area.

"This morning, two criminals, names Roderick Mesdise and Pete Roverton, escaped from prison. Police say that they are presumed armed and dangerous. If anyone sees them, they are to call the police and not engage them." The TV then showed two pictures of the men. "They are presumed to have left the area, but we advise locals to be cautious."  

___________________________________________________

If this peaks your interest, you can get a full copy of the book on amazon. 

For further interest on author or book, go to my blog  https://xavier-black.com/

-Xavier Black