Eighteen

"Hello? Hello? Can anyone hear us?" Wyatt spoke into the radio transceiver he held in his hand as he drove.
He had been trying for hours to reach any other survivors that might be out there, but so far we had heard nothing but silence.

It made me wonder how many others there were like us. The virus would be spreading further and further west by now, hitting South Australia and the Northern Territory.
I had tried to find news of the outside world on the RV's television and radio, but nothing worked. I even tried using the internet on my iPhone, desperately clinging to the last string of hope I had that we could somehow connect with the outside world, but it didn't work either.  
Eventually I gave up and slumped into the passenger's seat next to Wyatt.
The night had grown dark, and even though I could hardly see further than the headlights in front of us, I felt safe knowing he was driving.  

"Do you think the rest of the world is going to help us?" I asked, knowing he couldn't possibly know the answer, but hoping he could reassure me.
"I hope so," he sighed. "I mean, I know the world is a pretty tough place, but whenever there's a crisis like this, everyone always seems to band together. Like we have." He smiled at me and reached over to hold my hand, making my heart skip a beat.
It felt so weird, being so utterly disconnected from the world. With the internet and media providing me with any information I needed, I had grown accustomed to knowing exactly what was happening across the globe. Now, all of a sudden, we were completely cut-off.

One thing I was pretty sure of though, was that the virus would be contained to Australia. Surrounded by ocean, it wouldn't take long for the authorities to stop anyone from entering or leaving the country. What might happen after that worried me. Maybe the armies of other countries would come to our rescue, or maybe we would be left to fend for ourselves.
Maybe the world didn't even know anyone had survived.
I had so many questions, and no answers. I might never have any answers.
All I could do was survive. That had become our only mission, our only aim in life.

"How's your arm?" Wyatt asked, snapping me out of my deep thoughts.
"Fine. Ben wrapped it up again for me. It doesn't hurt too much."  
"Good," he replied, his lips forming a tired smile. "All we need to do now is get to Cairns. We'll be safe there."

I took a deep breath and looked out the window, gazing up at the stars. I trusted Wyatt completely, and I knew he was right. We would be safe once we arrived at his brother's house.

All we had to do was get there.

The road that lay ahead of us was uncertain, I had no idea what kind of danger awaited us on our journey. But as long as the four of us stick together and never give up, we will all make it to Cairns alive.

I knew this was only the beginning of this new nightmare that would now be our lives, but as I sat there admiring the night sky, my hand in his, it was the happiest nightmare I ever had.

TO BE CONTINUED...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hey-hey!

I've got some super exciting news!

I PUBLISHED THE EVA SERIES!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :D :D :D

All three books in the series (AS THEY RISE, WHILE WE FALL + BEFORE IT FADES), are newly edited and revised and now available on Kindle, iBooks, Barnes & Noble Nook, Kobo and Google Play.

FIND OUT MORE + ORDER AT jenmariewilde.com/books (click the external link).

A huge THANK YOU to you, Wattpad reader! Without your support + encouragement, I would never have been able to publish The Eva Series.