CHAPTER 11 | hell house

Five days later

"Parker."

The familiar voice drifted into her dreams, and a soft hand on her shoulder rocked her gently into the land of the living. At first, she was sure it was only an echo of some distant memory, but the persistent shake of her body brought her out of her much-needed rest.

"Parker, wake up."

Her eyes opened. She raised herself up from the desk and blinked as she stretched her weary body. Alice hovered over her with a look of concern. "God, what time is it?"

Alice's worry lines deepened. "It's three-thirty in the morning. You should go to bed."

Parker shook her head and yawned. "I can't, I need to see if the virus has replicated. I need to make sure it's done its job." She mentally crossed her fingers. If it worked, it meant they could bring down the sites selling Wildfire as soon as they were listed. It had taken her five long days and nights to write the code, but they were almost there.

She checked the monitors. Satisfied that there was nothing of concern, she turned back to Alice. "What about you? How's Hell House?"

Alice shrugged. "No change, still hell. Just came over for a five-minute break. You have the best coffee, and I didn't think you'd mind."

Parker let out a dry laugh. "Once Simon heard he could be eligible for a PlayStation from my usual supplier, he was more than happy to have the beans shipped in for me. Urgent delivery to boot."

Alice gave her a wan smile and headed to the recreational area.

Parker couldn't help but notice how worn out the doctor looked. "Alice, I'll make it. Put your feet up for five minutes."

She made them both a hot drink, handed a cup to Alice, and collapsed on the couch beside her. "How bad?" Did she want to hear the answer?

In the five days since witnessing their first death by Wildfire, their lives had become unrecognizable. Time was supposed to be relative. For Parker and the others, time had frozen.

With each passing day, the pressure on Parker and her team to find out who was behind the devastation increased. To date, they had found over three dozen Wildfire victims with still no clue as to who was behind the drug. She did not think she could stomach watching any more people die in such a horrific, heart-wrenching manner.

Over the past week, the doctor had found the courage to ease the poor souls' pain as she presided over the patients in the makeshift hospital, now only referred to as Hell House. Assisted dying. While Parker hated the term, it was apt. The majority of those near death chose this route, rather than enduring the final hours of agony.

Alice sighed. "We lost two more, and we have seven others moving into the last phase. They're being caged now. And the teams are finding more from your lists every day."

Parker yawned and rubbed her eyes, fatigued beyond belief. She jumped when her laptop emanated a flurry of high-pitched beeps. Her heart sank when she glanced at the screen. "Nuts."

"What is it?" Alice said.

"I triggered one of their security protocols."

She held her face in her hands and shook her head. "Which means I'll need to go in another way."

"Sounds like you're going to be busy." Alice placed her cup on the table. "Thanks for the coffee, but I've got blood work to analyze. I'll—"

Alice was interrupted by Daniel's abrupt and unexpected arrival. By the manner in which he stormed into the room, he was clearly agitated. "Leave us."

Alice left as though the devil were on her heels.

Oh God, what now? I'm too tired for this.

She let out a weary sigh. "We weren't expecting you back until tomorrow."

Much to Parker's surprise, Daniel included her in all discussions, and they had spoken via phone on a regular basis throughout the week. They had spent hours strategizing and going over the current developments and any issues she was having, as well as his frustration with the lengthy process of tracking down the people she had identified. At some point during the week, the animosity between them dissolved and was replaced with an easy working relationship, which only made Daniel's current mood the more unexpected.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

She froze at his angry tone.

"You were told to get some rest. Both Simon and Jessica have repeatedly advised you to do so. I know for a fact I ordered you earlier today to take tonight off. And what do I discover when I arrive back at four in the morning? You, not in your bed asleep. Instead, you're still down here working!"

Parker rolled her eyes. "You need to stop taking your job as my watchdog so seriously. I'm not doing anything that the others aren't doing. I want to get those bastards just as much as they do."

Daniel grabbed her by her arms and lifted her into a standing position. Her body pressed against his rock-hard chest, and she was close enough to see the fire blazing in his eyes.

"Unlike them, you are an irritating Human who doesn't know when she has reached her limit. We can cope with minimal sleep. You can't. You are of no use to us if you are unable to function properly. And as much as I hate to admit it, you are our only chance to find whoever's behind this."

Trapped, but unable to tear her gaze from his, she met his angry stare. His face was so close she felt the heat of his breath fan across her cheek.

"I want you in bed. Now." His voice was earthy and low.

His eyes subtly changed from green to amber and then back again. Heat radiated through her body, and an unfamiliar feeling of desire pushed up from her core.

Daniel let her go, and pushed her in the direction of the door. "Let's go."

She was unable to snap out an answer before he growled again. "I wouldn't challenge me on this, if I were you. You wouldn't like how that would turn out."

With as much dignity as she could muster, she gatheredher wits and errant pulse, and stormed aheadof Daniel up the darkened pathway toward the house.