Prologue: Broken Fairytale

Prologue:

I had never been so utterly pissed.

My hands gripped the warm leather steering wheel firmly while I winded through the streets of upper New York in search of my target. My life had officially fallen to pieces and all because of one asshole. One annoying, manipulative, uncaring asshole who was the sole reason as to why my marriage was falling apart and I found myself homeless.

Let me backtrack a little bit so you can understand.

I blamed Lilly Fenster as the initial source of my bad luck. What did my grade school nemesis have to do with any of this? Well, for starters she had made my teenage life hell. It wasn’t even intentional on her part, and I sort of always knew that in the back of my mind, but it still didn’t change the fact that she was the reason for everything terrible in my life.

My dad had always been the biggest hard ass I knew. Ever since my mom passed away after I was born, people said that he had turned into a bitter cynical man. I knew my dad loved me, don’t get me wrong I loved him back, but we both had really weird ways of showing it. It was always hard for me to show affection to the people I cared about, sort of the same way my dad was.

He never blamed me for my mom’s death, even though I sometimes blamed myself. Yet, after she passed away it was as if all of his life and expectations became centered on me. He demanded that I be the best.

You don’t know how damn hard it was the get first place when you were competing against a genius like Lilly Fenster. Every school award show, every test, every skipped grade I did, I was always one step behind Lilly. I could still remember the times when my dad would pull me aside and ‘motivate’ me to at least beat Fenster once. Nothing I did was ever good enough, but I still kept on trying.

So, when I miraculously started dating Lilly’s older brother, Andrew, I thought my life was going to change. I couldn’t believe that a guy like Andrew actually paid attention to me, but he seemed to like all of the things I hated about myself. He didn’t mind that I was a huge nerd or socially and emotionally awkward.

He accepted me for who I was and after a while, I stopped caring whether I got first place or not.  All that mattered was him. When he asked me to marry him, it was practically all I ever needed. Looking back on it, I probably didn’t handle things as best as I could have. I remembered warning Lilly away from her brother, because I was so scared that my fairytale would end and Andrew would realize I wasn’t as great as he made me feel.

But my fairytale did end and all because of Martin Vance.

Here is the prologue for you all. Don’t worry, things get a lot lighter and a heck of a lot more awkward in the next chapter! Give the first chapter a read?:)