Chapter Two: Won't Tell

His laugh vibrated loud and clear for a full five minutes.

Seriously, I was worried if he laughed any louder the glass chandelier above us would threaten to bust.  It certainly wasn’t the response I was expecting. I part of me was waiting for a little drama to unfold. Couldn’t he grab me by the arm and pull me out while I hurled insults at him? I already had a beautifully long list of accusations and slap techniques. Instead he was looking at me as if I did standup comedy in his bedroom.

“Really funny, huh? Let’s see how funny it is when I start unpacking!” I said in the same sickly sweet voice I had been trying to maintain for the entire afternoon. It was sounding a lot less sweet and a lot more like I was griping at the last straw of my patience.  I got the opportunity to let a smug look come over me when I watched Carmela lead a skinny guy behind her with my bags. So, Carmela had listened!

At least that’s what I thought until I glanced at Martin and saw him wink at the shorter woman. He was humoring me, the douche bag.

“Go right ahead then.” Martin claimed calmly, still sprawled on his leather couch. Well, it wasn’t like he didn’t have room in his five story mansion, but still.

I was planning on demanding to know why he wasn’t asking any questions, but then why would I do a stupid thing like that? Sure, things hadn’t really gone like I planned them in my head, but they were going somewhat better. Was what was happening better?

I gave him a pleasant smile in return before strolling over to Carmela like I already owned the place. I really hoped that bothered him, so I snuck a look behind me only to catch him staring at my ass. My body felt like it was on fire the minute I caught him, until I watched his eyes meet mine. Turning back awkwardly, I tried to walk out with the same confidence as before.  It didn’t work.

I had never really caught anyone checking me out before. In fact, I thought it was a damn myth. Like, maybe guys didn’t do that anymore? Or maybe they just didn’t do that to girls like me. I wanted to convince myself that I was imagining things, but you really couldn’t give a pointed look like that and let it be confused. Andrew had never treated me with anything less than respect, which instantly made me sad. My Prince Charming had been replaced by The Devil. Wait, what was I thinking? Andrew and Martin weren’t even on the same league. It hurt to think of the last words I had with Andrew, so I focused back on what was happening in the present.

“Carmela, I want the top floor.” I declared, with my feet already climbing up the next staircase.

I heard Carmela stutter before I really noticed what she was saying.

“Ma’am, I-I-I don’t really think you want the top floor!”

“Nonsense, now follow along Carmela.” I said primly, running my hand along the mahogany wood banister. It was only a floor above Martin, but I hoped he got my message. He was clearly below me in the floor he lived in and in character.

The top floor was similar to the last four below me and just as spotless. I wondered for a moment if Carmela took care of all of it by herself. I hadn’t seen any other help aside from Carmela and the tall skinny guy that was holding my bags. He didn’t look any older than eighteen, which in turn made me feel elderly. Fine, I was being dramatic, but I was nearing close to twenty two and it freaked me out. I knew I was still young in the back of my unreasonable head, but I had never thought I would be twenty two and single when I got married three years before.

Life had a funny way of turning out. If by funny it meant twisted and depressing.

I pulled open the first door I saw and made my way into the room. It wasn’t huge like Martin’s, but it was the size of the living room of the house Andrew and I used to share. The bed was queen sized and set against the wall directly in front of me. It had a royal blue comforter that matched the baby blue carpet. Just looking at the expensive carpet made me want to take my shoes off for starters. There was a white leather loveseat set against the wall to my right and it went with the pretty vintage wallpaper that coated all four walls. My eyes finally shot up to the ceiling where a smaller chandelier than Martin’s hung glistening.