II . TWO

( CHAPTER TWO )

THEY DROVE FOR AT LEAST FOUR HOURS IN COMPLETE SILENCE, listening for clues of someone in pursue, before agreeing that whoever had been following them had either lost them or let them go. Arden stopped tapping her fingers anxiously on the dashboard only when the car left the main road to dive into a narrow street surrounded by trees.

Anybody else would have asked her to stop, and Arden was used to getting on people's nerves with her tics, but the Soldier either wasn't bothered by it or had the heart not to tell her. The latter sounded so unlikely that it even managed to make the corners of her mouth lift in a small smile. Not even a day in and she was going crazy, thought Arden.

They pulled up to a small, crappy motel that seemed far enough from the street. The paint was coming off the walls and the bright neon sign had a letter dangling upside down, like a frame pulled out of a cliché movie. Arden supposed it would do, and it was inconspicuous enough to buy them some time from their pursuers. The Soldier parked the truck on the side, hidden behind a cluster of trees but easy to access in case they needed to make a run for it.

Despite the overall situation, Arden had to admit she had lucked out with her... chaperon. She wouldn't have lasted a day on the run without his help, and she might as well have been dead, so Arden was pretty sure complaining right now was out of the question.

Before entering the reception, she turned around and stared at him critically.

"You... try to be... not suspicious. I don't think these people are interested in either S.H.I.E.L.D. or HYDRA, but it's been all over the news these past few weeks. So, don't talk and keep your head down," she said, and the Soldier glanced at her with disinterest, "and don't... pull anything," Arden added belatedly, eyes darting down to the knife strapped to his belt.

The Soldier's hands closed into fists and for a tense moment, Arden felt rooted to spot. Eventually he nodded, brought the lapel of his jacket down to cover the knife and she let out a relived sigh as she went in. The old man seated behind the small counter gave them a lukewarm welcome, and was only a little put out when she asked for a room with separate beds. Feeling herself sweating, Arden hurried to make an excuse.

"We're waiting! For... for marriage, you know."

She should have left this to the trained spy, actually. Hoping the earth would open up and swallow her, she gave the man an awkward smile and quickly pulled the money out. He gave them a look but accepted the money, and with the key in hand Arden made a beeline for their room, belatedly shouting a, "God bless you!" over her shoulder. At least the Soldier hadn't said anything.

IS THERE SOMEWHERE . ( BUCKY BARNES )On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara