1

Robbery-Homicide?

Of all the places she could have worked, Robbery-Homicide?

Shut up you idiot, that's not important he internally shouts to himself as he watches Hailey, or rather Detective Upton, talk to his boss.

She mentioned how she had been after the crew responsible for the last three weeks and it gets him thinking. Was that why she was stressed at the bar that night?

She had never told him she was a cop, like how he never mentioned how he was one either. They didn't leave much time to exchange stories on what they did for a living, in the bar they spoke about the alcohol and back at her place they didn't exactly do much talking.

In the corner of his eye he could see Erin giving him weird looks but he couldn't focus on that. All he could focus on was the way she was speaking to Voight.

"I'm from Robbery-Homicide, there's been a robbery and a homicide here. So I'd appreciate it if you vacated my crime scene." She says before walking off into the scene and Jay can't help but slight smirk pull at his lips as he watches her walk away. She had had the confidence to do what most cops would cower away from, she spoke up to Hank Voight, told him off, and she did it without a hint of hesitation. He had never seen a cop do that so confidently before.

At the smirk Erin gives him another weird glance and he quickly wipes it off his face and clears his throat, looking to Voight and waiting for something to be said but nothing is, he just looks around to his two detectives with bewilderment.

xxx

As the case went on, Hailey, or Detective Upton, came over into Intelligence to work it after the commander signed it off. Luckily Alvin was there to beat the awkwardness that would have been there if they had been left in that surveillance van alone but by the end of the day Jay decides to bite the bullet and go over to clear any dirty air that might have been around them.

He ended up following out of the district behind her and as they both made their way over to their separate cars Jay calls out her name, making her turn on her heels and put her phone back into her pocket. He takes a brief take over his shoulder as he walks over to her and then shoves his hands into his jacket - the same one that two weeks ago Hailey had run her hands all over before sliding it off and throwing it to the floor, doing the same with his shirt as he lifted her into his arms and took off up the stairs. Jay shakes his head subtly to rid himself of the thoughts of that night, this was neither the time or the place.

Hailey leans against a car Jay presumes is hers, waiting for him to speak.

"You never told me you were a cop." Jay speaks through a lifted eyebrow.

She nods, glancing down to the floor before tilting her head to one side and meeting his gaze again. "Yeah well we weren't exactly in a rush to share life stories."

To do other things, yes, but maybe not that.

Jay shuffles on his feet. "Look, Hailey, as fun as that night was - and believe me, it was really fun - I wasn't really in a great headspace, I had a lot going on."

Hailey shakes her head softly, blowing it off. "You don't have to explain it."

Jay goes again, the words a little more spit-fire. "I don't want you to think though that I was using you for some kind of stress relief, because that's not what it was, and I certainly don't want you thinking-"

She puts her hand out to stop him. "Jay, I get it. What we had was fun but that's exactly it, we had it. We can't do it again. Voight offered me a place in the unit and I - I don't date co-workers."