12

Chapter Twelve
Questions Without Answers

Together they stood waiting to attack. A chilling energy ran through the ice fairy waiting to spike through her hands as her eyes went from one direction to the other.

They could hear the venomous growl lurking near them, somewhere behind the lines of closely spaced shrubs that surrounded them.

Riven's and Luella's heartbeats grew quicker, even if it was just a hologram, hearing the fake Burned One's footsteps be at one place and then suddenly the other.
At one moment, it continued to prowl around them and then — it marked its entrance, pouncing not far from the path the duo were on; finally in sight.

Riven quickly pointed his sword over at the Burned One, standing guard, as Luella conjured the most magic she could at that moment, thinking of what gave her the most powerful emotions.

Then she struck, her eyes turning a crystal blue with specks of white like snowflakes. Ice flashed out both her hands which held pointed edges, hitting the Burned One in the core. But that wasn't enough to stop it yet,
the malicious half-human creature came striking with what it had left. Its sharp-pointed hands raced toward them going into attack.

Though it made a mistake. It had left its stomach, where the core of the Burned One lay, open leaving no defence. So the specialist struck hard at it, a piercing shriek leaving the Burned One to drop dead onto the ground, disintegrating to dust and then returning to its original form: a diamond.

Riven didn't go to pick up the diamond, instead, he turned around to be met with him standing face to face with Lue in silence. The only things that could be heard were other students training and chattering in the distance.

Their heavy breaths were almost mixing as Riven flopped the sword to his side, looking up into Lue's eyes. There was an urge to look down at her lips, but he didn't. Instead, he watched her eyes turn back to her normal colour, a soft brown infused with green.

He'd been avoiding looking at her all day, trying to hold a grudge against her but yet he stood there, their faces close together until he turned away leaving Luella stunned.

He'd thought about it, the whole idea with Beatrix. And he didn't care anymore, what people thought. He had liked her, before.

She was locked up in a cell, the air fairy's screams becoming quieter each night. She was imprisoned there because she had murdered someone. Riven talked, gossiped, and made fun of, but he didn't kill.

And so, over each coming hour, he lost liking in Beatrix.

And eventually, he'd lose it all.

He picked up the palm-sized diamond, where the hologram rested inside, from the floor and threw it to Luella which she caught. It seemed to be the only exercise the duo could ace though it was the hardest.

It was a training day, like preparing for war. Ever since Beatrix and Bloom had gone out from Alfea, the Professors had gone to the highest precautions they could go. Training the fairies and specialists to their best abilities so they could be prepared for whatever came next.

Silva had asked her to take part in some specialist activities.
She learned from her brother and inherited skills from her father, but she seemed to be doing badly with them; It was challenging for her. She was a fairy, not a specialist.