Getting Your Story Noticed

The biggest hill that you have to climb when writing on Wattpad is getting people to read your story. This is hardest when you're new to Wattpad. You don't have any followers/connections, and there is so much competition. However just know that the number of reads you have does not mean that you are a good or bad writer. I will say that again.  

*****The number of reads you have does not mean that you are a good or bad writer!******

There are stories with terrible writing and thousands of reads, and beautifully written stories with ten reads. That being said, there are a few ways to get a head start. 

1. Tags- this is pretty self explanatory, but add lots of tags to your story. At least fifteen is good. The more tags you have, the higher the chance people will see your story. 

2. A cover- For a cover, you can create your own, or use art from the internet. Whichever one you choose, make sure that the cover has something about it that relates to the story. For example, if I were writing a Lord of the Rings fanfic, there might be something to do with lord of the rings on the cover. The cover catches the viewer's eyes, so if they see a character or place they like, they are more likely to read your story. 

3. A description- Descriptions are important because they tell the reader what to expect from the story. It can be anything from a summary of the premise of the story, to an excerpt of dialogue from the actual text. 

4. Important- make connections. On Wattpad, connections are usually made by following people. Read stories you like, and get in touch with other creators. Don't explicitly ask for them to read your story, as it can sometimes come off as desperate, but oftentimes, people will check out your profile, read your stories, etc. Wattpad is for writing, but it can also be a place to talk with other like minded people who share the same interests as you do, and it's good to get involved with that. 

All of the following chapters will go into how to keep your readers interested. We'll get into grammar, descriptions, dialogue, proper pacing, etc.