Chapter 9

Alex was awoken from her peaceful slumber by a piercing ring. Paying it no attention, she turned over and covered her ears with a pillow, fully ready to go back to sleep. Then it came again. 

Growling, Alex threw back her duvet and slammed her fist onto her phone, trying to silence the alarm. When that didn't do it, she repeatedly slammed her finger into the stop button, each attempt leading to further failure. Finally reigning in her annoyance, she calmly, slowly and gently pressed the button, sighing when it shut off almost immediately. 

Devices should be programmed to only respond to force. It would make taking anger out on them so much easier.

She put her phone on charge and lethargically ambled into the bathroom in order to do enough to make her presentable enough for the outside world, no more, no less. She showered quickly, brushed her teeth and threw on the only clothes she had left in her wardrobe: a pair of grey jogging bottoms and simple black t-shirt. Not having the energy to brush her hair, she tied it in a ponytail and hopped off downstairs to eat something before Julie arrived. 

The only thing left in the fridge, apart from some long-life items, was half a loaf of bread that Alex paired with butter and strawberry jam. She was halfway through her fourth slice when the doorbell rang. Alex knew Julie was a stickler for punctuality so sprinted off in the direction of the front door, sliding through the hallway and then opening the door with a sarcastic smile. 

"Of course, you're right on time."

Julie was looking at her watch. "Not bad kid, 15 seconds." Then she looked up to Alex, face stern. "Do better next time. 15 seconds could be the difference between staying alive or being buried six feet under."

Alex reigned in the desire to start singing, feeling like it would ruin Julie's serious teaching moment. 

Instead, she just rolled her eyes at Julie's overdramatic statement. "Yeah yeah." Then she turned to face the kitchen where her unfinished breakfast still sat. "You want to come in quickly? We have bread or toast and I'm sure we can scrounge up some tea."

Julie was torn. She liked being on time and leaving as soon as possible would be nice but her head was spinning from the lack of tea, a morning habit she had become reliant on. "Okay, but only briefly."

Julie followed Alex into the house, making sure the door was firmly closed behind her. 

When she saw the half-finished toast on the table she asked, "How many?"

Alex understood her meaning instantly. "Fourth."

"Ha, I was expecting more."

Alex shrugged. "I was too angry at my alarm today, lost my appetite."

Julie scoffed, disbelievingly. "You and food, I will never understand."

They both had smiles on their faces as they went about their business. Alex finished her toast and began making another, the last one she assured Julie while the latter boiled the kettle and waited for the tea to brew before adding the little milk Alex had left in the fridge, almost as if she had known how the morning would play out.

Rather than drink the tea then, Julie transferred it into a travel mug and made sure the lid was firmly on top. She then gestured to Alex to get her bags. Alex stuffed the remainder of her fifth piece of toast in her mouth, rinsed her plate and dumped it in the dishwasher before racing up the stairs to where her bags had been left at the foot of her bed. 

She didn't dare linger in her childhood bedroom any longer or else emotions might start rising up so with a short salute, she joined Julie by the door, keys already in hand. Her mother's keyring swung merrily beside her Liverpool fc badge and lego batman keyring, a constant reminder of her mother's past presence that would always stay with her. 

Alex stayed behind to lock the door while Julie made her way to the sleek back Mercedes parked outside of the home. Once she had checked and double-checked the door was locked and wouldn't open without the aid of a battering ram, she went over to the car. 

The door opened easily for her and she lifted her right foot to step in. Just as her foot made contact with the carpeted foot-rest, Julie hit the accelerator, making the car lurch forward, making Alex lose her balance and leave her dumped unceremoniously on the pavement. 

"Dude, what the hell was that for?"

Julie reversed and talked to Alex over the passenger seat to where she was smiling widely in the driver's seat. "Other than for my amusement? To show you that's not the best way to get into the car if you're in a situation that requires a quick exit. Try again."

Alex stepped up gingerly to the left side of the car and this time practically leaped in, right foot first.

The outcome was the same, only she suffered from a harder impact with the cold, hard ground.

By now, Alex's backside was rather sore from its contact with the concrete, leaving an irate Alex. 

"Seriously? You're not going to tell me how to do it then?"

"Oh no, I was. That time was purely for my entertainment. Consider it payment for the constant sarcasm." Her only reply was a pouty huff. "You have to get in backwards, practically throw yourself in so your backside lands first. Then all you have to do if swing your legs in and pull the door closed."

Alex took the information and nodded sagely. "Ah yes, throwing yourself into something backwards, as you would normally do."

She tried it anyway and this time when the car started speeding down the road, Alex was sitting awkwardly inside with her legs dangling out of the car, skidding along the road. She quickly pulled them in before the speed burned through the rubber soles, put on her seatbelt and leaned out to close the door, thankfully ceasing the car's beeping and the message flashing on the console with 'Car Door Open'.

"Really? I hadn't noticed," Alex muttered. 

She took a moment then to inspect the interior of the car. It's seats were black leather and the screen in the dashboard was equipped with all of the media, radio and connections one could need. There were light embedded throughout the car, constantly changing colour from light blues to dark reds. The effect was therapeutic.

Alex was disheartened, however, to see that it was a pretty normal car otherwise. 

"J, where are all of the cool spy gadgets? Is there no button for machine guns to come out of the headlights?"

"No."

"Wow, James Bond really set high expectations."

"Of course you'd base all of your knowledge on spy movies. Thankfully, our world is nothing like that."

Alex raised an eyebrow. "Really? Nothing?"

"Fine, maybe a little. And for your information, this isn't one of the get away cars, just a normal one."

Alex tapped the glass. "So this isn't bulletproof?"

"No, it is. Every car it completely bulletproof but other than that, this car is completely normal."

"Now that's disappointing."

Julie smiled at that. "Oh don't worry, I doubt the rest of the agency will bore you so."

"Uh huh." Alex set her expectations low.

Instead of fantasising about the potential technology, or lack thereof, she busied her mind with the trivial parts of life like never having to go to that bloody school or being unable to understand her fellow peers. At least where she was going, there was a chance more people would be like her rather than being obsessed with becoming 'popular', though with a group of teenagers that would always happen.

Alex, listened to the rap music Julie had put on, not voicing her hatred of the type, but instead stared out the window at the passing scenery, wondering how exactly her life was going to change in the next few hours.