35 - A False Realization

An extra chapter for you all this week because I've been slow with updating and I couldn't leave y'all waiting for a week based off the ending of yesterday's chapter :) love you all!!<3

__________________________

"What're you doing here, Draco?" Mother asked when I entered the kitchen at the manor. Last night, I stayed at Edward Estate in hopes Blair would be mature enough to fix what had happened last night, but she wasn't.

When I was leaving this morning, I ran into Valentina and I had to pretend like everything was fine, like her daughter didn't just put an end to our marriage over a misunderstanding.

"Draco," Mother said again, walking up to me, "What's going on?"

And I knew there was no excuse as to why I was at the manor instead of the estate. "Blair um...we..." I started to say, not really knowing how to announce the marriage was pretty much over.

"Go on," my mother encouraged.

"Well she doesn't want to be 'married' anymore," I mumbled.

"What does that mean?"

"She wants a divorce when the time is safe," I spit out.

"What!? Why?" Mother cried.

I looked down at my hands. The wedding ring rested on my finger which only reminded me of last night. I slipped it off my finger and set it aside.

"She thinks I still love Astoria."

"And do you?" she asked.

"No!"

"Well then why does she think that?"

"Pansy and Blaise overheard me speaking with Astoria; they heard me tell Astoria there's still a special place for her in my heart and they interpreted it wrong. Before I could get to Blair, they told her," I explained. "And then last night, Blair was not open about hearing my side of the story, at all."

"Well you know how Blair is, she's very headstrong and stubborn, and that can get the best of her, but she's also very open to listening to people as she has a kind heart. She was in the heat of the moment last night and I reckon she didn't mean any of what she said. If you go and talk to her, explain your side of the story, I'm sure you two will make up. Does that help at all?"

"Yes, Mother. Thank you."

"Of course, Draco," she said, hugging me.

But it really didn't help. After seeing how angry Blair was last night, I know there's no coming back.

-

"You're back early, Draco, did you miss me?" Astoria asked when I returned to Hogwarts that same day.

"Leave me alone, you ruin everything," I jeered as I walked back to my dorm.

"Draco, come on!" she whined.

"I ended things last night and you're still psycho enough to follow me around like the lost puppy dog you are. Just go find someone else to bother."

"But Draco, what we h—"

"—was a mistake," I said, cutting her off and finishing her sentence. "Now get out of my face," I growled, slamming the door in her face, hard.

I heard her scoff from the outside and stomp off, a slight smirk formed on my face because that was literal proof of me not still loving Astoria. If only Blair could've seen it.

-

Later that day, I made my way into the Great Hall for dinner. To my surprise, Pansy and Blaise weren't there, not that I wanted to see them. I sat beside Theo and Daphne.

"How's Blair?" asked Daphne.

"No good thanks to your sister," I sneered, not caring at all how Daphne reacted.

"What'd she do?" Daphne asked.

"Everything."

"Blaise and Pansy overheard Draco and Astoria talking about their feelings or something and Blair found out," Theo explained.

"Well Astoria does still love you," Daphne said passive aggressively while she piled food onto her plate. "She just wants to be there for you and all, especially because the marriage was arranged and we all know those never work out."

'Doesn't work out.' Blair and I would've if it wasn't for Astoria, but maybe Daphne is right.

"We were happy."

"Or were you just under the illusion that you needed to keep your family alive?"

"What game are you playing, Greengrass?" I sneered.

She chuckled. "I'm not. I'm just helping you open your eyes. You and Blair don't love each other. You're in a dark place. You turned to the person who was closest at that time, but let me put you on something, people who are forced to love never actually do."

And then my stomach twisted into knots. Voldemort matched Blair and me up because he didn't want us to be happy. He knew I loved someone else so he set me up with someone who would ruin that, and she did. Daphne's right...I don't belong with Blair because we were forced together. People who are forced together aren't meant to be.

"Well actually, Daphne," Theo said, speaking up, "They were happy up until Astoria came in."

"No, Daphne is right. Blair doesn't love me...I caught her kissing Potter that one time after all."

"Mate, come on, don't say that. Blair does love you, I've seen the way she looks at you," Theo said.

I ignored him and turned to Daphne. "Thank you," I mumbled, not realizing I was only screwing things up more.

-

-

-

Blaise and Pansy were able to leave school for the night and stay with me. I was very thankful for them to do that as I don't have Draco by my side...anymore.

"So what'd you decide to do?" Pansy asked as she cradled Cordi.

Tears filled my eyes, again. Every time I think about how I acted, I can't help but cry.

"I'm sorry, B..." she mumbled as Blaise sat beside me and pulled me in for a hug.

"I told him he can see Cordi on the weekend at the manor, and I basically broke off the marriage," I mumbled just as the tears began to fall. "I hate her seeing me like this," I murmured against Blaise's chest, referring to Cordi.

"I don't blame you for feeling this way, Blair. You're healing and that's what is important for right now," said Blaise as he rubbed my back.

I felt Pansy sit beside us and place Cordi on my lap. She snuggled up next to me when I wrapped my arm around her.

"See," said Pansy, "She loves you."

I laughed slightly, wiping my tears.

"Besides, what you did was the right thing. If Draco is going to sneak around behind your back, then you deserve someone better."

But I do want him.

"Yeah, I agree with Pansy. You're an amazing girl, Blair, and you deserve someone who won't break your heart," Blaise said.

And I'm the reason my heart is broken. I should've heard him out.

"Thanks guys..." I uttered, wanting to change the subject and move onto something other than Draco.