Chapter 3

It was a fine day to take a walk, Daisy thought to herself, taking a deep breath.

"You seem to be enjoying London, my dear," her Aunt Gracie commented. "It is a beautiful town but I cannot wait for you to see our estate in the country. It is simply gorgeous," she smiled wistfully, suddenly reminding Daisy of her son. While Lucas had inherited his grey eyes and dark hair from his father, the resemblance ended there. His features were more similar to his mother's. He would have the same broad smile too, she thought, except he hardly ever smiled.

"What happened to Lucas, Aunt Gracie?" she asked suddenly.

"What do you mean, my dear?"

"What happened that made him such a recluse? I recall him being very playful when we were children."

"My son is hardly a recluse," Aunt Gracie laughed. "He is often serious, yes. But he has many friends and an active social life, he just happens to hide it very well."

"Oh."

"As for why he is serious, I am not very certain. Although he was a very naughty child, his father had disciplined him into losing all that mischief by the time he was fourteen. And then he was suddenly off to war. He only returned to England when your uncle passed. I suppose the war and losing his father changed him a bit more," Aunt Gracie murmured.

"I am sorry for prying, Aunt," Daisy said, feeling guilty for asking so many questions.

"I know that you are curious about your cousin, Daisy. There is no reason to apologise," she smiled kindly. "I happen to think that it is wonderful that your father decided to send you here. Both you and Lucas do not have any siblings and I can see how protective he has become about you in such a short span. I am glad that he has more of a family than just me."

"Oh, me too, Aunt Gracie. I have come to love Lucas as if he were my own brother too," Daisy replied, meaning every word.

Aunt Gracie nodded, looking pleased.

Just then, they heard a commotion from across the road. Daisy peered and was shocked to find a man kicking a small child who was lying on the street, curled into a ball.

Without her knowledge, her feet carried her in that direction. "Stop that this instant, I say," she growled.

The man ignored her and continued abusing the poor child.

"You son of bitch, stop it, I say," she screamed and used her parasol to thrash the man. That caught his attention.

"Leave the boy alone or I shall ensure you spend the rest of your life in gaol," she threatened.

"Fine, keep 'im. I haven't any use of this urchin anyway," the man spat and ran away.

Daisy knelt beside the boy who was trying to get up, he was hardly five or six years old, she thought.

Her heart clenched at the sight of him dusting his clothes, clothes that were tattered, his tiny face brave. Daisy did not know why he affected her so much, she had never been particularly fond of children, especially children this age.

"Are you alright?" she asked, even though he clearly wasn't.

"I didna need yer help," he replied. "I can take care of miself," he said bravely.

Daisy rolled her eyes. She supposed it did not matter what age they were, men, in general, seemed to be stubborn pigs who refused to take help even when they obviously needed it.

"I am sure you can. But let me help you," she coaxed. "What is your name?"

"James but e'ryone calls me Jamie," he replied hesitantly.

"That is a handsome name for a handsome boy," she smiled.

The boy flushed and that made Daisy want to laugh but she held it in. Her aunt appeared behind her and Daisy thought she was going to reprimand her for running off like that but she did not.

"Who are your parents?" Aunt Gracie asked the boy kindly.

"That man was me da and me ma is dead," he declared, looking ready to bolt. That meant the boy's mother was a black as James was coloured and his father was not.

"It is decided then, you will come with us," Daisy said.

"I willna!" he screeched.

"We will give you food and clothes that are not covered with holes," her Aunt bargained. James hesitated only for a moment before he let John, their footman, carry him to the carriage.

"That was amazing, Aunt," Daisy grinned.

"And that was extremely foolish, my dear niece. Brave, but foolish. That man could have been dangerous."

"Yes, but I had to help the boy!"

"You did the right thing but next time, take a footman with you," Aunt Gracie declared before climbing into their carriage. "Oh, and Lucas cannot know about this. He tends to get a little sensitive about these things."

Daisy nodded dutifully, feeling a sudden burst of affection towards her aunt.

Little did she know that the boy's father was observing them from his hiding spot. A slow smile spread over Stanley Oakes's face.

***************************

"Jackson, where is my cravat?" Lucas thundered. He was late to his appointment as such and his valet was nowhere to be found.

Just then he heard what sounded like a giggle.

Lucas sat up straight. What the hell was that?

"Who is that?" he growled.

Another series of giggles followed. Lucas stared at his closet, what seemed to be the source of the sounds.

He pulled open the door and saw a child sitting there, on a pile of his freshly starched cravats. And he was eating something. Something red and sticky.

"Who are you?" he murmured
menacingly. The boy opened his mouth but just then his mother entered his chamber.

"James, there you are! Daisy has been looking for you all over the house," she tutted and lifted the boy in her arms.

Lucas was speechless.

"You know him?" he asked.

"Oh, yes I do, Lucas. I am terribly sorry, my dear," his mother smiled, looking sympathetically towards his ruined cravats.

"You are sorry? That is it? Am I not going to get any explanation as to what is happening in my house?" he asked, incredulous.

His mother hesitated for a long moment before narrating the events of the previous week.

*********************

"Oh, this is fantastic," Benedict laughed loud enough to draw everyone's attention in the club.

"Shut up," Lucas grunted.

"Your mother and sister managed to hide an entire human being from you for an entire week in your own house," he chuckled again. "This is good stuff, man," Benedict grinned.

Lucas declined to answer. His friend was beginning to get on his already frayed nerves.

"I must say, this has given me another reason to like Lady Daisy," he murmured, looking very pleased.

Luke rolled his eyes. His friend's behaviour was beginning to nauseate him.

"I will call on her this week, I suppose," he wondered aloud.

"And do what?"

"Take her on a ride, perhaps."

"Good luck with that," Lucas snorted.

*******************
Please vote if you enjoyed the chapter!