15 - Ending

Payton settled into the corner of the Skull Speaks, tuning his guitar and listening to the flow of conversation around him

Payton settled into the corner of the Skull Speaks, tuning his guitar and listening to the flow of conversation around him. Even this close to the Wolf's fortress, the room filled with guards, the rumors and gossip flowed freely.

"He dropped, right there on the stage," one of the guards, a dark-skinned young man, told the others. "I was there. "We were all prepared to protect the Princess. None of us expected the King to fall."

"Was he poisoned?" another guard asked, a stout woman with thick auburn hair.

The first guard shrugged. "No one knows. The Wolf didn't believe in physicians."

The woman shook her head. "Survival of the fittest has its drawbacks it seems."

The first man spoke again. "He couldn't have been poisoned. Everyone was searched as they arrived. All the food prepared on-site and tested. Besides, the King didn't eat."

"But he did have a glass of wine," said the third guard, a dark-skinned young woman with three distinct scars along her cheek said, carefully swirling the liquid in her own mug.

The first guard shook his head. "It was uncorked and poured throne-side. I'm telling you, the old man's heart gave out. He didn't believe in using medicine. Was probably a ticking time bomb."

Payton shook his head. Many were the rumors he'd heard since leaving the masquerade.  Though he could hardly blame them. He'd had front row seats for the entire affair, and could hardly stop thinking about it. 

Payton's heart had nearly jumped out of his chest when the King's glass shattered on the dias. It was such an unexpected punctuation to the final notes of his song, one he'd known he was dangerous to play in the King's presence. He'd been thankful for his costume, the mask obscuring his face. It was unlikely he'd be associated with the bard that had sung the King's swan song.  

Zaketa had stepped in front of the throne as servants rushed to clean the mess. "Not to worry, everyone!" Despite the lightness of her voice, the princess was hardly reassuring in her skeletal mask. "The King will be retiring early tonight." She gave a sheepish sort of a laugh, though to Payton's ears, it had sounded forced. "It has been a rather eventful night. I think my father may have enjoyed a little too much wine."

Zaketa stepped forward as the curtains of the dias closed behind her, her slender guard in a skeletal mask at her side. "This is my birthday celebration, after all. There's still plenty of food and drink. Please, drink and be merry. " It was then that she met Payton's eye. "Thank you," she'd said, her voice quiet now. "The song was lovely." She forced a smile as she made her way carefully down the stairs of the dias. "Your costume suits you."

Payton removed his feathered cap, pressed it to his heart, and bowed with a flourish. "I am your humble servant," he replied, straightening. "Your costume is stunning," he replied. "Though something of a surprise."

The Princess nodded solemnly as she approached him. "The meaning behind it is manyfold." The people had begun milling about around them, indulging in food and drink as she'd requested. "Are you aware of the Tarot?"

Payton cocked an eyebrow before nodding. "Fortune telling is a street art much busking. I've known my share of Tarot card readers."

"Then you know the meaning of the death card."

"Change...transformation, transition, " Payton said quietly.

The Princess nodded. "Change, transition, transformation, and ending. Tonight was both an ending, and a beginning. A beginning I hope to share with my people. With your words, your music, giving hope to my people."

"I will do my best," he replied. This intimidating figure garbed in the most exquisite gown he'd ever seen, her face painted in the likeness of a skull, stood before him, tears tracing lines down her cheeks. Despite the pain clearly etched on his features, all he felt was relief. This young woman who had sought him out on a street corner, bedraggled and desperate, was to be their new queen. 

"So. The coronation will be held by the end of the month," it was the first guard again. 

"I'd hate to work that mess," groaned the woman. "The Princess will be a target for sure. Poor kid."

"Oh, she'll be fine," said the second woman. "Don't underestimate our Queen. She's young, but she's prepared for this her entire life." 

"True," said the first man. "My sister was always fond of her. The maids all were. The Princess was a lot nicer than she let on, my sister swore. She'd always order these ridiculous meals from the kitchens to be brought to her rooms and barely touch it before calling the maids to take it all away, and take whatever they wanted."

Change was on the way. Though it was bittersweet and hard won, Payton couldn't help but smile as he began strumming the tune of his newest ballad, The Queen Reborn.  

Thank you so much for reading Mask of Bone. The final days of the ONC crept up on me, so I apologize for the somewhat rushed conclusion. Work and life have gotten in the way of my writing over the last few weeks. I will be making edits as time allows. 

I would also like to assure all those who have enjoyed this story, that I have much larger plans for Zaketa, Rhys, and Payton.  For now, though, this is an ending. Or simply a transition, depending on how you look at it.