14: Baking Cakes And Threatened Mates

When we arrive at the packhouse, I set to work on my red velvet cake. We honestly got enough ingredients to make 6 cakes, but I just made 1 6-layer cake (and had enough to make another 6-layer cake) to spare my mates and my babies.

I pull out the stand mixer that Jordan and Kade were able to sneak me for my 14th birthday, making Jordan smile slightly. I also get a couple bowls and whisks before putting up everything that I don't need. Then, I commence the baking.

Noah and Jordan start rough-housing and, over time, Ryner and Ryder join in--well, Ryner joins in and Ryder tries to break them up--but when I pour the batter in the cake pans, I break it up for good.

"If you make my cake fall, you won't like what happens," Noah and Jordan stop immediately, looking scared. Ry and D, however, hesitate slightly.

As I turn away and open the pre-heated oven to put the 6 cake pans in, the twins go back to shoving each other. I sigh, closing the oven, and set the 2 cake pans I held back down. I don't turn around, though, because Noah and Jordan start telling the 2 that they should've just stopped. Then, Kade comes into the kitchen. He was quick to assess the situation.

"They almost made the cake fall?" Kade says in almost a whisper, most likely to Noah and Jordan.

"Yup," judging by the deep voice, Noah answers.

"This'll be fun," Jordan says this and I turn around and glare at him.

He closes his mouth quickly and steps back repeatedly until his back hits a wall. Noah and my brother try (and fail) to hide their laughter, but a quick glare shuts them up and has them in a line with Jordan on a wall. I hear Ryner and Ryder trying to sneak out of the room and glare at them now, stopping them in their tracks.

"Cassiopeia, please tell them what happened to you when you made my cakes fall," I say calmly, watching as the twins shiver in fear.

Jordan gulps audibly, clearly too scared to refuse. Eventually, he clears his throat 3 times and does as instructed.

"I was probably 14 and Kyle was 12. Our fathers were both gone on pack business, so Kyle was actually being treated like a pack member by the pack. He was, um, making a cake for the pups and I came running into the kitchen while they were baking. He went ballistic and told me to just pray to the Moon Goddess that they didn't fall. Welp, they did and Kyle made me re-make the cake I ruined and make enough cupcakes for the women who look after the pups in the nursery as well. After that, he wouldn't talk to me for weeks," Jordan cleared his throat again and his face was haunted at the recollection.

One of the twins scoffs. Ryner. The 3 men behind me start protesting and trying to advise him against saying anything to set me off. Even his brother whispered to him to shut up. But, alas, he didn't listen. That means that I get to have some fun.

"Ryder, baby, go stand with the others," I say simply, watching as he obeys and sighing in disappointment at Ryner.

"What? Are you going to make me bake some cupcakes? I'll be so traumatized," I smile sadly at him before walking up close to him and yanking his ear down to be right next to my mouth.

"Currently, I am just as powerful as you. You know why? Because I'm a lycan. A direct descendant of the Moon Goddess. I also have a lot of power over you. This is because I'm your mate and I'm carrying your pups. Now, if you don't want to sleep on the couch for at least a week, I suggest for you to not make my cakes fall. And, just because you brought it up, you will be making some cupcakes. But not only for those who look after the pups. No, that would be too easy. No, you'll make cupcakes for all of them, the pack moms, dads, and those who are newly mated. We have all of the stuff here and so I don't think you'll need any help. I'll, of course, tell you what to do, but you'll have to do it yourself. Sound good, mate?" he nods his head once, the movement barely seen.

I bite his earlobe slightly before kissing his cheek and releasing my hold on him. I smile brightly at him, my eyes flashing from ice blue to navy blue as a warning momentarily. I turn back to the oven and put the cakes in before setting a timer on my phone. I turn back to see my mates and brother all scrambling in slow motion silently to take their shoes off, leaving only sock-clad feet.

Time Skip Until They're Done

When we finish baking (really just Ryner and I), I'm swept off of my feet by Jordan and carried off to his room. When I look back from over his shoulder, I see that we're followed by the twins and Noah. Jordan throws me on the bed and plops down beside me. The others do the same and soon, we're all laughing messes.