Eleven

The tiny living room of Namjoon's apartment feels like an overcrowded tin box, as the four of them stand in it, too restless to sit, yet too disoriented to get out and do something.

"So her friend is gone also?" Jungkook glances at the clock on the wall. 6:25am, there will be light soon outside, a good thing for searching.

Jin nods. His shoulders are drooped, head dipped low. It's strange to see the usually talkative figure withdrawing into himself, eerie, almost.

Taehyung sighs, "Come, let's sit down and go over the details. We'll figure it out. I'm good at finding people."

Jin hesitates but complies, pulling up the wooden dining table chair, but his motion is slow and delayed, as if dragging behind his thoughts.

Namjoon is still in his faded blue pajama pants, "Mahina's parents called us, the kids are missing along with their van."

"The good thing is, they are still young. No credit card, no phone, on an island. We'll definitely find them." Taehyung's voice is casual, but his hands are fisted.

"You're probably right. I just..." Jin's voice fades.

"It's ok, love. Taehyung's right. We'll find them, they're probably just out doing silly kids stuff, will turn up soon." Namjoon walks over and leans into Jin's arm.

Jin nods, by his voice is low and uncertain, "I knew this day would come eventually. I always saw it, dark clouds, dark water. Maybe it was wrong for me to bring her to the island..."

The implication of Jin's words hits Jungkook like a ton of bricks, "What did you see? Was it- was it something bad?"

"Her future has always been a little blurry. Stubborn, independent, not believing in fate. But there was always something troubling about the water. Why I never liked her surfing..."

Taehyung reaches in to touch Jin's arm carefully, "Blurry is good in a way, no? Maybe it's not set in stones, maybe it won't happen. I'll find her before anything happens. We'll bring her back." His voice is light and sweet, the optimism rubbing off on Jungkook.

Jin looks at him, and purses his lips in an attempt to smile back, but instead it makes him look almost teary, "Please do. People may think Yoonji can't live without me, that I saved her. But really- really she is the one that anchors me, she's the heart of this little family that we have." Jin looks up to meet Namjoon's gaze.

Taehyung nods. The wind howls outside their little tin box, hurling raindrops onto the window and roof.

Jungkook comments, "So should we split up our efforts? A lot to do: call all their friends, check at place they usually go to, let a few people in town know so they keep an eye out for them..."

Jin responds after a long sigh, "Sounds like a good plan. I can call around. No... wait... I'll do a praying ceremony with Pele instead. I can't change her fate, but maybe I can buy her just a sliver of time..." his voice cracks and fades.

It's strange to see Jin so dispirited, Jungkook is afraid to ask for details. To his relief, Taehyung chimes in, "Then I'll go with Jungkook. We'll call if we have more information."

Taehyung's eyes gleam with alert, his back is straight, shoulders squared. There's a sudden assurance in his presence, and Jungkook wonders if this is one of the many facades Taehyung wears outside of the island.

-

The interior of the truck is cold and musky. "Where to?" Jungkook asks uncertainly.

Taehyung flips open the laptop on his lap, "Just go, head towards town, I should be able to find them within 10 minutes."

Jungkook turns on the ignition, and eyes him hesitantly, "Never realized you had a laptop."