Chapter 6

The breeze is exhilarating. Despite my situation, I can't help but embrace the salty wind.

I am standing in the sail boat following the line of water keeping me trapped in this section of ocean.

I stand up and hang onto the rope so I can feel even more of the breeze. My hair is rolling in the wind, matching the rolling of waves as they are pushed out of the way of my boat.

I take a deep breath and smile at the other in front of me. I can feel the pure bliss that comes with sailing. My dad is definitely smiling down on me and giving me the wind I need to move this fast.

I am not just doing this for fun. I'm am both looking for a way out of the line and trying to map it out. If I can get an idea of how big it is, I might be able to figure something out about why this line exists and then maybe a better way to get out.

I notice that the line is starting to bend and I turn the boat to follow it and avoid running into the line. As I am doing so I notice a small island in the distance. It is small enough that there is no way anyone lives there. My hopes quickly disappear.

I stand up further and pull down on a rope to slow the boat a bit. As I am doing so, I notice a figure in the water next to the boat. From the shape of it, I can tell it's the creature.

I frown at it and yank down on the rope harder to make the ship stop. I jump off the high spot I was standing and go into the cabin so my notebook.

I sit on the deck and start to try and map it out. While I am doing this, I think of what Joseph must be wondering. He probably just assumes that I am still sailing.

If he tried to contact me, however, with the radio he would have gotten static. I forgot about the radio and tried to use it this morning. Wherever I am, there is no signal and I almost started crying when I realized I couldn't get help.

Speaking of tears, I feel some forming in my eyes right now. I breath in heavily to try to calm myself. I have to stay brave for my dad and for Joseph. Panicking won't get me anywhere.

I then decide to sing. I don't think I'm any good but no one is here to listen except for the creature. I'm not even sure if he knows English.

Singing will help me calm myself. As I sing, I work harder on my map.

It's true
You know that I would jump too
Ooh, into the blue

I draw the island I saw earlier.

You should have left me
Cut off the rope
I'm too much sugar
I am your dope
I'm just as scared as you
Alone in the rain
I'll jump if you jump too

I slow down my mapping.

Like the ocean's dancing with a storm
I will dance with you
While my waves enclose you 'til you're warm
Like the water's glue
Hold your breath and let me count to three
When you really know it's right
Take my hand, we'll dive into the sea

I pause my singing when I hear a small splash.

I look over the edge of the boat and see the creature staring back at me. I shake my head at him.

I have no idea where I get the courage from. Maybe I'm getting tired of these creatures scaring me senselessly.

I turn and close my notebook. I hear him move closer to the boat as I put the note book in the cabin. I come back out to see him still watching me with indifferent eyes.

"What do you want?"

Nothing.

"Do you know where we are?"

Of course he won't say anything. He probably doesn't even know what I'm saying.

I turn my back to him and start to prepare the boat to move again. As I am reaching for the rope, I am startled to hear a voice.

"What is your name?"

I run back to the edge of the boat and look down at him. His mouth is slightly open as if he was waiting for me to respond.

He spoke. He actually spoke and in perfect English with just a hint of a very odd accent. His voice sounded so rich. As smooth and handsome as I would have expected.

What really got me was the tone of his voice. It was commanding. I felt my vocal cords work for me.

"Kaia. Kaia Irey."

He nods to me, his eyes turning a bit bluer as I give him my name.

He turns to leave but I find myself stuttering out something.

"What is your name?"

He pauses with his back still to me. After a moment, he disappears into the water.

Song: Mermaid by Skott