Chapter 32: Coffee and Salt

The halls of Twin Trees High felt dead with no students roaming them. The clock ticked rhythmically as it had done for the last three hours, but nothing else changed. A dozen men I had spread around the school radioed in every ten minutes to clear their sections. Officer Reese waited in the lobby while I finished my walk-through.

My shoes echoed on the tiles as I passed empty classrooms. There were loose papers on the floor and a few open lockers. From what I'd learned, the teachers had silently evacuated the school when they received the order. It was impressive that they had done it so stealthily and the word still hadn't spread, but that was probably due to the threat of retribution if anyone let it slip.

"Anything?" Officer Reese asked as I rounded the corner.

"No. I'm beginning to think we got the wrong day, or he knows something is up." I crouched on the steps next to him, staring at the front door where the light from the sun drew backward. "If he wanted to attack the students, he would do it during school hours. There's only an hour before school lets out."

"I don't think we should leave though."

"I'm not leaving."

"We'll have to change the men out or start thinking about taking shifts tonight."

"I don't have any experience with that," I admitted. "But they are going to start asking questions."

"They deserve answers."

"I know, but those answers aren't easy to give. Would all of them agree if they knew I was the one leading them? Would they stay if they knew what they could face?"

"Most of them, yes. You have a tendency to underestimate us, you know?" Officer Reese leaned forward, propping his chin on his hand. "You told me that we're not so different. I think you sometimes forget that."

"Maybe," I said, but I didn't know what else to say.

"Do you see that?" Officer Reese jumped slightly.

"What is it?" My voice betrayed the thumping in my chest.

"There are cars out front." Through the glass doors, I saw a trail of vehicles making their way up the path. I recognized the lead truck.

"Those are The Children of Man's cars. I don't know why they'd be here." This is the worst possible time.

"You said that humans can be controlled by the supernatural, right?"

I stood and Officer Reese was startled to his feet. "Get your men down here now!" I commanded. "Get them here and ready for an attack."

As he relayed the information to the other cops, I slunk to the window. Four cars with about five people in each were parked in front, but there was no sign of my uncle. For all I knew, he was watching from afar like the coward he was.

"What's going on?" The first of the men arrived, weapons ready.

"There are about twenty men and women out there who may be preparing to attack." A few of the officers looked startled by my words, looking to Officer Reese for confirmation. "None of them will be in control of their actions. You can fight, but don't kill anyone unless it is necessary."

"What's going on?" One of the younger officers asked. But his question was cut off when the doors banged open and people streamed in.

I waited for the assailants to pass, their motions forced and sluggish, but deadly with the handguns and rifles they sported. Harsh words were exchanged, but I ignored them. The last person through was a larger man, and a kick to his knee brought him down. His head hit the floor and a hit to the temple left him out cold.