Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Life in the Woods: Chapter Seven

Dinner began in uneasy silence. 

Josiah had calmed, but there was a small flame of temper still crackling inside of him. 

I've withstood everything the woods throws at me, he thought as he stabbed a potato with his fork, I've shown everyone that I'm strong. Why do they treat me like I'm not?

Credence was focused on the sling Pa's arm had been in, and wondering why it was suddenly gone. Pa was using his hurt arm with no fuss, moving it around with ease. 

As if nothing had happened. 

Credence didn't know much about wounds, but she knew an arm in a sling didn't heal in under an hour—yet here was Pa, moving without strain, disproving everything Credence knew about arms and healing. Her parents were hiding something, and they weren't going to say a word about it to their children. Credence's mind simmered with words like betrayal and lies, and emotion built until she couldn't take it.

"How was your trip to the towns, Pa?" she asked carefully. 

Pa looked up from his bowl, startled by her question. Credence knew better than to ask him about the towns, especially when he was in such a foul mood—yet here was his daughter, uttering forbidden inquiries, disproving everything he knew about rules and children.

"Wicked, as usual," he mumbled. "Living here was the best choice I ever made."

It was the stock answer, and Credence was in no mood for it.

"And your arm? Were you hurt badly?"

"Nothing I couldn't handle," Pa grunted.

"Was it a fight—" 

The loud CLANK of Pa's fork hitting the plate made everyone jump.

"Why are you asking such questions?"

"Credence," Ma warned, "let Pa rest for now. He's had a long journey. You can ask him your questions tomorrow morning." 

There was a pause, and for a moment it seemed as if that would be all on the subject, until Credence's voice cut through the silence:

"No." Even Josiah's eyes rose from his bowl to gawk. "I want to know now."

Ma sat back and smoothed her skirt.

"Well, Credence, now is not the right moment."

"Why do you hide things from me and Josiah?"

This was a dangerous game Credence was playing, and Ma decided to engage. She sighed and put her hands in her lap, turning fully towards her daughter.

"Are you loved?" Ma asked. Credence balked.

"Y-yes, Ma."

"Are you fed, and dressed, and cared for?"

"Yes."

"Who are the children in this family?"

"Myself and Josiah."

"And who are the parents?"

"You and Pa." 

Ma nodded.

"The parents make the rules, Credence. Not the children. Do you know why? Because it's the duty of parents to protect their children. So, if Pa and I do not wish for you to know something, it is because we are protecting you. There are so many things in this world that want to hurt you, and Pa and I work very hard to make sure they never do. You and Josiah cannot see it, but it takes its toll on us, yet we do it anyway, because you are very special to us, the most special in all the world. It breaks our hearts when you do not follow the rules, or when you argue. It makes the hard work we've done to protect you look foolish."