7: LIFE INSURANCE POLICY

Devorah and I agreed to go to Esther and her husband's house after our chat because it was close to my house. The investigation team was still investigating the house both inside and out when Mr. Smith's truck pulled up in front of the house; the policemen paused what they were doing to examine the truck, and a woman emerged.

"What the hell is going on here?" She asks, confused, as to what is going on; shortly after she exited the truck, one of the officers who was investigating inside the house emerges, holding a brown envelope;  and the other officer who exited the home walked close to us.

He remarked, "I found this on the master's bedroom," and it appears to be a significant document.

"Excuse me? What's going on here? That's mine. " said the woman.

The envelope was brought to the chief of police, who opened it. He opens it up and reads the documents within. He glances at the woman and makes a motion to the other officer once he finishes reading it.

He told the other officers, "Search the car."

"What is it for?" She's still perplexed as to what's going on.

"Ma'am, may I inquire as to your relationship with Mr. Smith? And why do you have his truck?" The officer approaches her quietly and asks her a question.

She furrowed her brows and said, "I'm his girlfriend, and I borrowed his car last night." I'm not shocked she's the girlfriend she believes she is.

"And you claim to be the owner of this insurance money?" The cop seriously asked.

"Yes, and what's the matter? Where has he gone?" She's starting to become agitated.

"Are you aware that Mr. Smith is a married man? And his wife went missing a few weeks ago," he added, and I noticed Devorah's look of skepticism when I looked at her.

The woman fell silent, and then the police officer who was searching the car appeared, clutching something in his hand with a gloves.

"We discovered this kitchen knife in the back corner of the truck's interior," he explained. The cop who was speaking with the woman simply shook his head in surprise and inhaled deeply before turning to face her.

"Do you mind if we invite you to the police station, Miss? We need your statement," she looks like as if she saw a ghost as she hears what the cops just said; she's about to flee when she realizes what's going on, but the cops immediately arrest her and take her to the police mobile.

"Can we ask you to go with us on behalf of your sister? Since it was the case of her spouse and she's still missing" the chief police said, I turned to her with concern on my face.

"Sure, I'd want to speak with that woman as well," she said, and my worry vanished.

"We'll see you there then," the officer said, and Devorah and I both got in her car and followed the cops.