Ch. 38

Onyeka

Filling a satchel with some clothes and grabbing a second bag I make my way out of the house. I've never been an object person. Having half the furniture in the house taken in front of you as a kid will do that. But all that aside I still have to turn to look back at the old building. The faded green walls and endless collapsed staircase. As well as the memories of several bodies... so many gone. I walk out. Scooping up the head I put it in the bag and walk off towards the woods- then stop. I can't draw suspicion, ad it would be better if there were no ties to- the idea strikes me. Who cares how suspicious it is, if it's found in someone else's bed?

I made the mistake of forgetting the shovel. So here I am, clawing handfuls of dirt up in the side yard of the Grufenblast's main house. Ridiculous name, right? Like they're comparable to those majestic animals. The second moon was halfway through her arc. The chances of someone who mattered finding the head was miniscule, but it would be found. Hopefully by someone suppositious, and it gives the who pitiful crew a good scare.

"Looks like you could use this."

I jump out of my skin, and tense for a fight. I almost punch when I see the man in front of me.

"Folami, what are you doing?"

"I can't sleep, and when I heard you leaving camp I decided to tag along."

"And what if I was sneaking off to do something private?"

"I'd say this is pretty private. I- I just wanted to be here. To spit on the demon's grave."

I don't say anything. Just finish digging the hole with the shovel. When it's complete I sit back on my feet and look to Folami. He shakes his head and I reach out and take the head and place it in the hole and begin to fill it in.

"The first of many, and a ritual until the end. I swear on the lives stolen by this beast, that every creature like it will meet this fate, preferably by my hands. Vlardg, Idisa bless my endeavor against the disciples of your demonic kin Alanus." I say, a surge of renewed vigor rushing through me.

Folami spits on the mound of fresh dug dirt. "I hope you're in torment."

The two of us walk away.

"I didn't take you as a cultist Onyeka. Let alone such an ancient one."

"I wouldn't say I believe, not entirely. It's hard to shake conditioning though."

"Conditioning?"

"How easy would it be for you to ignore your beliefs around the church?"

"Ah, I can see your point now. But for your statement to make sense you would have had to be raised-"

"By active members of a long dead sect?"

"It just doesn't make sense. No one can practice outside the church."

"A religion started by the republic."

"The empire spans the world? Yeah, so what if it was."

"Why are we doing this. I'm not even religious. You've wormed enough out of me for the rest of the year. Go on ahead. I want to- well just go. I'll see you tomorrow." I turn and start walking towards Old Claudis, continuing that way for about five minutes before turning again and heading for the house.

The old house. As luck would have it, I do have something I left that would come in handy. The house stands tall and inviting in the distance, but grows ominous, sinister as I grow closer.

Distance, time they blur the edges of tragedy. Elementary school is this magical time, when 11th grade rolls around. Getting thrown out of the house shifts to 'when I left home.' The blood caked under your fingernails becomes the night I lost my friends. Just keep moving, and we'll get there, and I was.

The door was ajar and pressing it open I see everything we didn't take scattered about the floor. Well not everything. I hope they found something of use to keep. Someone should. Stepping into the foyer I carefully make my way around the various objects on the ground. My room is more or less untouched, perk of having like six things.

"Onyeka?"

I whip around to see Chioma standing in my doorway. "You almost gave me a heart attack."

"Did you follow me?" he says.

I go back to scanning for the necklace. "Like I have the time. I forgot something. Why are you-"

"I'm glad you're here actually can we talk?"

"We're not already?" I say, spotting the chain and bending to snatch it up.

"We have to leave Claudis. Not just Claudis Proper but the country. We can't afford to make names for ourselves as enemies of the Republic; we'll die." Her looks to his left. Towards the foyer. "We could go to Issen, but we would always be on the run, always watching our backs, well more than usual."

The pouch had been ripped from the chain. "Shit." I hold the length of metal in my hands, trying to think of what to do now.

"Yeah, it doesn't really leave us much options, does it Onyeka? I know it would be hard, but the rebellion would give us the... political protection to do what you said."

"Political protection." I scoff. "And hard, you don't know the half of it. Try impossible."

"But..." his voice is thinner than ever. "You traversed the maze once. Surely your experience-"

"How did that conversation happen?" I storm up to him my face inches from his.

He sighs, rolls his eyes, and says, "Confusingly, you told me to forget something I never knew."

"I thought so to." Reaching into my pocket I pull out the- lock of red hair. Coming out of my pocket in one smooth piece instead of a ball of strands and lint, the hair binds to itself, like a magnet.

"Well I have a friend who gives me reason to believe that we could make it to Maric. And from there even if we don't seek out the rebellion, a mistake, we'd be so much safer there."

Wrapping the chain around the lock of hair and tying it off I braid the hair, and put the necklace on.

"Look Chioma, I'll agree to think about it if you help me."

"Help you with what?"

"I haven't decided yet..."

"Are you serious! You want my help with something, and you'll think about it?"

"We shouldn't join the rebellion I won't say we should... but back me up tomorrow, and I support the move to Maric."

"Anan is going to kill you when she sees that." He says pointing to the plait hanging from my neck.

I laugh and wrap my arm around his shoulder. "We'll get Anan on our side don't worry. Just ease back for now. After this we'll start working on Anan as a unit."

"You're really not going to tell me what your planning?"

"Planning, we having gotten there yet. Just an idea, but by tomorrow, yes a plan."

I know my ventures,ordained as they are, cannot fail.