Chapter three: Rohan home of the Horse-Lords.

Arneth's POV.
Suddenly we emerge from Fangorn and then Gandalf lets out a really shrill whistle. Then we hear a whinny and a pure white horse gallops towards us. "That is one of the mearas unless my eyes are cheated by some spell." Legolas says. I am in awe as the horse stops in front of us and bows his head, I raise my hand to pet his head and he places his head into my hand. "Shadowfax. He's The Lord of all horses and has been my friend through many dangers." Gandalf says as he rubs Shadowfax's neck. I go to move back to Hasufel when Shadowfax puts his head over my shoulder and pulled me towards him. "Shadowfax must want you to stay with us." Gandalf says as he pulls himself onto the horse. The next thing I know I'm on the horse behind Gandalf with a guilty looking Legolas standing beside me. "Now Arneth, even you must know not to disobey the wish of a lord?" he laughs as he walks back towards Arod, swings himself up and pulls Gimli up behind him. Aragorn laughs as he sees me pull my bow. "Arneth dear, none of that now! Hold on tight, Shadowfax runs very fast!" Gandalf scolds me. I grab onto his cloak as Shadowfax whinnies and so do the other two horses, then they take off and I scream out loud with pure exhilaration. Over the wind I hear three more shouts and Gandalf's laugh. I watch on in awe as the scenery blurs together and the as Shadowfax slows down to let the other two horses catch up and then takes off again. His rythm is so smooth I end up being lulled into a sleep, and as I fall asleep I feel Gandalf shift on the horse and then I'm in front of him. "Sleep Arneth. Shadowfax will get us there safely and I will not let you fall," Gandalf says to me.

I wake up and it's night I'm lying on the ground and I have Gimli's cloak over me, how can I tell? Well it has red hairs on it and yeah. I take it off and stand up walking over to Gandalf, Aragorn,Legolas and Gimli who are sitting around the fire and looking towards the east. I drape the cloak over Gimli's shoulders and whisper a "thank you" in Gimli's ears. He smiles and moves over to make space for me to sit. "You're more than welcome lassie," he says. "The veiling shadow that glowers in the east takes shape. Sauron will suffer no rival. From the summit of Barad-dûr, his Eye watches ceaselessly. But he is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. Doubt ever gnaws at him. The rumor has reached him. The heir of Númenor still lives." Gandalf says to Aragorn, oblivious that he had three of us listening in also. "Sauron fears you, Aragorn. He fears what you may become. And so he'll strike hard and fast at the world of Men. He will use his puppet, Saruman, to destroy Rohan. War is coming. Rohan must defend itself, and therein lies our first challenge for Rohan is weak and ready to fall. The king's mind is enslaved, it's an old device of Saruman's. His hold over King Théoden is now very strong. Sauron and Saruman are tightening the noose. But for all their cunning we have one advantage. The Ring remains hidden. And that we should seek to destroy it has not yet entered their darkest dreams. And so the weapon of the enemy is moving towards Mordor in the hands of a Hobbit.Each day brings it closer to the fires of Mount Doom. We must trust now in Frodo. Everything depends upon speed and the secrecy of his quest. Do not regret your decision to leave him. Frodo must finish this task alone." Gandalf continues. "He's not alone. Sam went with him." Aragorn says. "Did he indeed? Good, yes, very good!" Gandalf sounds pleased but suddenly he sounds serious, "But there is still one thing he covets, maybe even more so than the Ring!" and as he says this both his and Aragorn's eyes turn to me.

Legolas tries to distract me. Eventually he resorted to tickling me because I want paying attention to him! Then... He got Gimli to join in. It turns out all he wanted to tell me was that there was food for me. So after I ate I volunteered to do two watches because I have been asleep most of the day and much to my surprise everyone agrees. So here I am now I have a sword in my hand because not two minutes ago I heard a crack. Shadowfax is awake and alert, it's almost as if he is taking watch for the horses. Eventually I remember that the fire is still lighting and the crack was from a stick. I relax and turn around to see Gandalf sitting up. "Arneth, may I speak with you?" he asks me. I nod my head. "You know what you can do, and I meant what I said earlier. He covets you! And not for good, he believes that you are the key to this war. But I want you to know that as long as I shall live, I shall protect you with my life." Gandalf tells me and I smile and hug him. "They will not get me Gandalf so all is well." I laugh softly and bump my shoulder into his. He smiles and says "It's my watch now, rest my dear! Tomorrow we will be in Edoras!" Gandalf says and I lie down. As I look over I see Shadowfax trot over to me and he stays there. I smile and pat his leg before falling asleep. The next morning I woke up as Legolas shakes my shoulders telling me that there was some breakfast for me. I smile and he helps me up and gives me the food. Soon after, we are all back on the horses and taking off. And then we can see the halls of Théoden.