Chapter 19

I raise my hands, palms out. "I am not going to fight you," I say, nodding towards the Cauldron. "You can do what you will with it." Please. The Cauldron scrapes a disapproving claw down my spine. 

Betrayer, it whispers.

Amren snorts, "Some Keeper you are, girl." She stands a few feet away from it, slightly taller. 

I glance at the object and shake my head, "It has always been more of my Keeper, I think." I lay my revenge laced eyes on them, "I am more than willing to see it used against Hybern." Especially the King.

Neither of them move, their gazes assessing me for any trickery. "Are you not the Queen of Hybern?" Feyre asks cautiously, her hand gripping an Illyrian blade. Not a threatening stance, but a defensive one--a wary one. 

"Technically speaking, yes." I lower my hands slowly and they watch every muscle move, ready to pounce if needed. I have not heard too many stories on how the High Lady fights, but Amren... she is old. I have no doubt that it would be a difficult task. Putting them together against me--I'm not sure if I could win. Not that I want to fight them, that is. "But, I never gave them my allegiance," I continue.

Amren's silver eyes glowed, "You killed thousands with that damned thing." Feyre stiffens, as if remembering the terror of those moments. I wonder, where was she during those death producing beams? How many warriors did she personally know who were eviscerated by it?

We stare at each other for a moment, neither wanting to engage in a fight, but not willing to lower defenses. I could tell them that I was protecting the people of Velaris, but would they believe me? Behind, an explosion erupts, causing us all to flinch a little. The battle below rages on, unknown which side will be triumphant. 

"Now," Amren hisses to Feyre. Out of instinct, I raise my hands to defend. But Feyre only stood there, her gaze to her comrade. "You make it count," she snapped. "Put your hand on the Cauldron." I notice a book appear in her hands. The Book of Breathings. The King was furious when he heard that they were going after it. Even more so when they didn't have it that night in the throne room. 

I have never peaked into that Book, so I would not know of the spells it hides. But as Feyre lifts her hands to touch the Cauldron, I take a tentative step forward. Amren snaps her head to me, her eyes glowing in warning. I raise my hands again, "It'll be too much."

Feyre looks to me, then to Amren, who clucks her head at the female. "We are prepared for this. Put your hand on the Cauldron, girl," she says forcefully, though masked with compassion. 

Feyre obliges and places her hands on the ancient being. I feel her magic as she does so. The Cauldron purrs in excitement as it latches onto her touch, leaching her magic. The sensation is dizzying. Some footsteps sound behind us and I turn to see Hybern soldiers marching our way. 

I turn to both females, "I will take care of them." Amren only nods, Feyre panting as she keeps hold. 

The sea salt air mixes with the tang of blood and fear as I take a deep breath in, calming my mind. As I walk away, I feel Amren's gaze on my back for a moment. I let the shadows form a wall behind me, blocking the two Night Court females. The buzz of Feyre's magic still sits in my mind, though I make sure to only use my own. The soldiers halt abruptly, noting the direction that my darkness begins swirling. Tendrils slowly break free of the wall like monstrous arms. Within them are flashes of white electricity--the light of which hardly travels far for the shadows are so thick, a menacing sight. I feel my shadows creep onto my neck, my face. The stench of fear from the soldiers increases as they behold me--their enemy. A few of them take a step forward, swords or glowing hands raised.