Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Something was happening.

Something felt off.

I had no idea what it was. I couldn't go beyond the walls around me, beyond what the chains allowed, but I knew something was happening outside. I could sense everything was off balance.

That morning, the Doctor came in. He sent his robed minions in to do their tests, then recalled them and sent them off to run the tests. That left us alone together. He stood there in front of me for the longest time, speaking in a low menacing tone. I didn't like his tone. I didn't like his posture. He stood like he was waiting to attack me. He was threatening, which was rare. He didn't often make the stupid mistake of threatening me, but he did that day.

He stood there for a while longer, even after he'd spoken. He seemed to study me, then slowly came forward. I growled and he slowed to a stop, then began his path to me again. I tensed, locked up my muscles in preparation for a fight. He was right in front of me, right in my face, a fucking bold mistake to make. I parted my lips and bared my fangs right in his face.

He didn't back down.

If anything, he seemed to enjoy the proximity. He sucked in a deep breath through his nose, and steadily blew it out through his lips before those lips turned up at the corners. I growled again and he reached up, placing his hands over the cuffs on my wrists. Through the red haze of my vision, with the sharp hearing of mine, I vaguely could make out some kind of words.

"Will... me from this... no longer... slave... set you... free... good boy, okay?" I paused at that, confused, because... words? Words made sense to me for some reason. I understood what he was saying, or at least, I got some semblance of an idea. I squinted at him, confused, and he hesitated, his hands over the cuffs on my wrists.

"Understand... me?" He asked. I nodded slowly, and he cursed under his breath, stepping back. I panicked, because for some reason, I needed him to follow through. I needed him to let me go. I knew I couldn't be chained forever. I knew I shouldn't be there. It didn't make sense to be there. I wasn't supposed to be there. I was supposed to be with someone else. With other people. I couldn't for the life of me remember who, but it wasn't these people in robes.

"Son of a bitch," the Doctor cursed, "I don't have time for this." He spun around and headed for the door and I panicked.

"W-Wai...!" I couldn't form the word I wanted, couldn't make the sounds I wanted, so I settled for roaring and that stopped the Doctor in his tracks. He spun around to face me. He said something, but I didn't understand what it was. I cocked my head, confused, then tried to speak again, but only growls and grunts came out. I couldn't form words for some reason. I was left gasping and whimpering in the end and the Doctor shook his head, said something else, then left the room. I wailed and dropped to my knees, jerking at the chains on my arms, but with no results.

I was left kneeling in the room, my head down as I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I felt the hot streaks on my face. I wanted to tell him to come back, I wanted to tell him I wasn't supposed to be there, that I was supposed to be with someone else. The person who smelled like spice. I had to be with them. I knew that somehow. I had to be with him. He needed me. I needed him. He was part of us. He needed to be here and he wasn't and it was both enraging and agonizing.

I tilted my head back and screamed for everything I was worth. I screamed until my throat was hoarse, until there was nothing left, except a few hiccups as I broke into a round of sobs.

I was so confused.

I was so scared.

Where was the person who smelled like spice? I needed him back. I needed him to wrap me up in that smell, wrap me in his arms. I needed that.