Chapter 13: The Job

Kit was already in his motel room. He did not know what he was doing. With who he was working with. Nothing. The room was quiet. He knew he had to get some sleep. He couldn't, that was the problem.

He now knew the man's name. It was Atticus Berk. Berk had told his name from his house. At that time, he didn't know he could believe him. He stuck with the same name.

Atticus Berk.

He felt like he could trust Berk. He seemed genuine and honest and straightforward. Berk could really help him. He could prove his innocence. What if Berk couldn't? Kit thought. Berk was really sure he would solve it. Find the People who did this.

If he was arrested and Berk had not shown, he would be questioned by the police. He would have to confess. If he didn't, he should go through a complete court trial. Which was completely new to Kit and he knew that the odds were stacked against him. The last time he entered a court was when he was a kid. His uncle and aunt were the ones to raise him after his parents died. He stayed with them until he turned eighteen. He was with them from the age of fifteen. So, for a total of three years Kit had stayed with them.

His uncle believed that the crash was deliberate on his parents. He was the person who suffered the most from the Death of Angela Martin and Stefan Martin. Stefan Martin was the name of Kit's father. He was the brother of Kit's Uncle. They always did always together. At least, that is what Kit's mother had told him. He believed that. Every time Christopher and his family visited his Uncle's, his father and uncle were always together. Talking, joking, they did everything together. Even go to the bathroom until a certain age. They were twins. They weren't the exactly similar looking twins. They could be said as brothers by different people, that is what Kit thought.

The court trial was disappointing for Kit's uncle. It was proved that it wasn't deliberate. Kit wasn't sure what was happening at court during his age. Even though he was fifteen, he wasn't the guy who liked crime and politics. Nearly no fifteen-year-old is.

He walked over to his bed and lied down and turned the lights out. He didn't want to sleep just yet. He adjusted his pillow just so he was in a posture of lying and sitting. He took his phone out. He clicked it open and checked the time.

2:56 AM.

He was usually never awake at this time of night. He liked to be on time. Usually, he would wake up tomorrow, get dressed and get to work. If he wasn't here, he knew that is not what will happen.

He clicked his password and the screen lit up brightly. Too bright. He lowered the screen. He didn't know why he was looking at his phone. At first, he was just opening random applications. He then opened the phone application and saw the recent person he called.

Ava Connelly.

Before leaving his car and house, Berk had asked him not to tell anyone where he was going or what he was doing. So, he didn't tell anyone. Not even Ava. She doesn't know where Kit is. Kit knew that tomorrow, police are going to question her about his whereabouts.

He stared at her name on the phone for some time. He was still staring at it. He wanted to call her. Tell her where he was. He knew he couldn't do that. Then again, Kit doesn't know he could completely trust and believe the man so called Atticus Berk. He made a decision. He completely ignored what Berk had told him and pressed on her name. He was calling her.

He kept the phone to her hear. It was ringing for a long time, then she picked up. Her voice sounded like she woke up from her sleep. Which Kit was sure she was. He wanted to say something. but suddenly, he felt something was wrong. He cut the line immediately.