T W E L V E

(Y/N) and Steve sat side by side on two modern barstools, hands resting on the sleek marble counter in front of them. Steve had suggested that the two of you break the news to Tony together. After your last interaction with Tony you weren't particularly fond of this idea. He hadn't actually done anything to upset you, but some part of you felt like he didn't really like you. Frankly, you couldn't help but be intimidated by him. You tried to argue but just like before you couldn't say no to Steve's puppy eyes when he asked you to go with him.

The conversation was made slightly more bearable by a red-headed girl in a leather jacket. She had been talking to Tony when you and Steve went to explain the situation. Steve had introduced her as Nat and you quickly deduced that the two were very close. Like Tony, she was sarcastic and intimidating but there was also a slight twinkle in her eye. Her dead-panned humor had you in stitches despite the intensity of the conversation. She was the kind of person you normally would have wanted to be best friends with, but her combination of seriousness dispersed with jokes reminded you of Amanda. That was a situation you had promised yourself you would never get yourself into again.  

Thankfully, Steve had done most of the talking. They were surprised by the news of their pregnancy but both recovered from the shock quickly. Similar to Steve, Nat and Tony's faces were hard to read. You figured that being able to hide emotions was a part of their job. It must have become like second-nature to them, with the exception of Peter of course, who happily broadcasted his thoughts and feelings to anyone and anything that would listen. Nat had agreed with Steve and seemed excited about having you move into the tower. Tony had said you were more than welcome to stay but something still felt off about the way he looked at you. They way he stared, scrutinizing every word that you said. You felt like you were under some kind of microscope, your whole life on display for complete strangers to examine.

Understandably, after almost an hour long conversation, you were dying for some peace and quiet, away from the probing questions. 

"Well it was really nice meeting you Nat but I should probably get going. I've gotta get home and start packing," you stated, reaching out to shake her hand.

"Of course (Y/N), it'll be nice having another girl around here for a change," Nat replied, smiling softly back at you and returning your handshake before you turned your attention to Tony.

"Thanks again for agreeing to this Mr. Stark, I really appreciate it."

He eyed you up and down slightly, as if he was trying to figure out the answer to some riddle that should have been obvious to him but just couldn't solve.

"Couldn't say no to this Old Man, lord knows what you see in him," Tony said earning a glare from Steve and an awkward chuckle from you."And no need for the Mr., call me Tony." 

You nodded at him, swiveling your legs to the side and gently hopped off the stool, Steve turning in his so that he continued to face you. 

"I've got a few things to finish up here then I can help you pack some of your things if you want?" Steve asked.

He didn't want to overstep his bounds but he also knew packing would go a lot quicker with two people rather than one. Not to mention he felt guilty that she was having to go through the hassle of moving for him. Well... for the baby. To his relief (Y/N) accepted his offer of help waving slightly before heading back to the elevator. 

Steve watched as she walked away, hair swaying back and forth in a loose ponytail. He couldn't decide if he liked her hair better like this or in the adorable bed-headed way he had seen it earlier that morning. Everything about (Y/N) caused butterflies to swarm his stomach. The bounce in her walk, the small freckles on her nose, even her stubbornness was endearing. As the elevator door closed and (Y/N) disappeared from view, Steve turned in his chair back towards the counter to see Nat smirking at him. 

"What?" he asked half-annoyed, already knowing he didn't want to hear whatever she was going to say.

"Oh nothing, she's a really sweet girl. I can see why you like her, she seems, well... different from your last girlfriend," Nat chuckled slightly and Steve rolled his eyes at her mention of his blonde ex-girlfriend. He opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by Tony. 

"I'm not so sure," he said as he turned away to walk towards the sink, his hand coming up to scratch the back of his head. 

"What do you mean?" Steve asked, not understanding what Tony was getting at.

"You barely know the girl but you're so quick to trust her. You're overly cautious about everything and don't get me wrong, that can be annoying as hell but at least it keeps you safe. Two minutes with (Y/N) and that all goes out the window," Tony elaborated.

Nat sighed, glancing back and forth between the two men who seemed to always be arguing about one thing or another. They were too strong willed for their own good, like two positively charged magnets, constantly pushing against each other and refusing to find a middle. 

"What are you trying to say?" Steve glared at the back of Tony's head, meeting his eyes when he finally turned back around to face him, arms crossed over his chest covering his iron heart.

"I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it-," Nat began trying to dissuade the tension but was interrupted by Tony's loud voice booming over hers.

"You need to get proof that this baby is actually yours before you start sending any kind of money into her pockets. I don't like how quick this is all happening. Let my lawyers draw up some papers. Nothing fancy, just a standard agreement so she won't be able to take advantage of you."

Steve was trying to stay calm. There was not a doubt in his mind that (Y/N) was being sincere. He knew Tony's concern was coming from a good place but he didn't like him taking unwarranted shots at (Y/N).

"Absolutely not Tony. (Y/N)'s telling the truth, I can just... tell."

"You want to risk everything you have because you can just tell?" Tony said incredulously, still not used to seeing this side of Steve.

"I'm not risking anything because she's not lying. The baby is mine Tony. (Y/N) isn't... She's not who you are making her out to be. She's a good person, not some money-grabber with an agenda."

Steve hoped that would be the end of it but Tony wasn't going down without a fight.

"Your feelings for her are clouding your judgement. Start thinking with your head instead of what's in your pants. I'm not saying she's lying, but there is an easy way to find out the truth," Tony said, his hand that had been pointing towards Steve fell loosely by his side as he shrugged his shoulders. 

"Nothing is clouding my judgement. You only ever want to see the worst in people, and (Y/N) hasn't done anything to deserve that," Steve said defensively, growing tired of Tony's pessimism.

He could tell Tony wasn't satisfied with his response so he kept going.

"I know I barely know her, alright? That's something I want to change. But think for a second Tony about what she is going through. I want to be there for her... for the baby. She needs me, they both need me. I'm not going to let them down by making her think I doubted her integrity, not even for a second," Steve finished, standing up from the stool signifying he had had enough of this conversation.

"I hope for all of our sakes that you're right. I'm going to call my lawyers and have them draw something up, just in case you change your mind."

Steve met Tony's eyes directly, his fists clenching slightly and his eyebrows furrowed.

"I won't."