45. Lovely Night

"Are you sure she doesn't expect anything? She's very curious

"Are you sure she doesn't expect anything? She's very curious." Today's the day I ask Veronica to prom. Alison has been helping me come up with ideas on how to ask for the past two weeks. After our cabin trip, Alison told me how Veronica was telling her about prom. I remember Veronica talking to me about it saying how she didn't wanna go but she told Alison otherwise.

"She doesn't suspect a thing, I told her Mom to keep her busy while we get everything ready," Alison says as she finishes laying everything out. I rented us a small house just thirty minutes away from everyone else. I wanted us to spend the weekend here and have some time for ourselves. "Let's go over the plan one more time."

"I'll go pick up Veronica in two hours, she'll have a blindfold on so she won't see where we're going. When we get here, I'll take the blindfold off and she'll see everything that we've set up. Then I hold up the flowers behind her. That's the plan." Alison claps her hand and picks up her bag.

"Everything is perfect! If only I could be here to take pictures but I'm sure Vero will tell me everything after." I'm very grateful for Alison, she helped me a lot with this. I honestly think I wouldn't be able to do this on my own. Alison said to go "all out" for this, so she gave me some ideas and we made it happen.

We put rose petals on the floor that lead up all the way to the room we're staying in. In the room, there are a bunch of pictures of us and of her, I set them up so they spell out prom on the bed. Alison placed some candles on the night stands, obviously fake ones. And lastly, I made her a basket with all of her favorite snacks. I can't wait for her to see all of this.

"Okay well I should go get ready, Thank you so much Alison." She pats my arm and smiles.

"I'll do anything for my bestie, as long as you don't break her heart." Her smile fades and her eyes narrow at me. I chuckle nervously and nod my head. Alison is kind of scary when she's serious or mad. Well I haven't seen her mad before but Alejandro says it's scary.

"I won't ever break her heart."

~

Knocking on the front door at Veronica's house, my nerves are getting to me. I'm not nervous about prom, I'm nervous about seeing her Dad again. We get along great but I'm not gonna lie, he is a scary man. He always has a serious face whenever I come over, he does talk to me, he always asks how my family is doing and other things.

The door opens and it's her Dad just like I thought.

"Mateo," he nods his head towards me and opens the door more so I can step in. He closes the door once I'm in. He extends his hand out and I take it, he pats my back twice and pulls back. "Why don't we have a seat while Veronica finishes getting ready."

I follow him into the living room and take a seat. It's quiet for a few minutes until he breaks the silence.

"So do you have a plan for after graduation?" He asks.