Chapter 17

Song=Dark Side: Trevor Moran

"And these are the bathrooms."  

When she would look at me to see if I was paying attention I would nod my head. 

My mind was somewhere else. I felt freedom for once, I wasn't locked in a truck, I wasn't stuck inside a castle. I was in the woods. I might only be able to stay in a selected area, but it was the best I ever got. And I was going to enjoy it for as long as I could. 

I never had been camping so I already had asked Jen if I could sleep outside. She agreed to it and even decided she was going to get two sleeping bags and join me. I don't know how long this would last, but I wanted to make the best of it.  

Cutting off Jen's rant on how the bathroom were made I asked, "How many days before I'm sent back?" 

"A week. Now have you been paying attention?" I answered "yes" too quickly that she gave me a skeptical eye, but continued on with what she was talking about before. 

"Lastly, this is the dining hall." A bigger cabin then Jen's was standing proudly in front of us. It had huge windows on it that could let you clearly see all the people inside. There was a lot more than I expected. 

It was already late at night. Probably around the usual time people had dinner, but when we were touring around everywhere there where kids playing on a small playground. There were house lights on that showed there was at least one person inside. This place looked to hold at least double all of the people I saw today. 

"You can shut your mouth now. That is only one level of the house. There are three," She said proudly as she opened one of the grand doors for me to enter. 

All the commotion at once hurt me sensitive ears, but thinking less about it the noise started to go down. Not to silence, but more bearable.  

She walked to a table where Kyle was sitting. Smiling at people that we walked by who gave a friendly smile back. No one gave nasty looks our way like most people would do when a vampire walked by, most likely after they walked past them, but when I looked behind me there were no nasty looks. 

"These people are really nice." 

Jen laughed. "You seem shocked by that." She pulled out a chair and sat down as I did the same. 

"We are vampires. I'm surprised they are not afraid of us." 

She laughed again. "There are only nice vampires here, and we make sure of that. They have to go through a whole process before they are aloud here. Isn't that right Kyle?" 

He nodded his head. "Took me a year to be accepted here." 

"That long?" I asked. 

Jen cut in. "We have to be very careful, but after he told us about his story of turning into a vampire. We knew that he was serious about joining. 

He never told me how he became a vampire? 

Kyle must have seen I looked disappointed and piped in, "Would you like to know how I became a vampire? It seems appropriate to tell you now, because I have already told Jen the story." 

"Yes please." 

He nodded his head before starting. "So, there was this one girl I fell hard for, maybe even literally." He had a humorless chuckle. "I went to go to propose to her. I hung up some lights at a park. Right when she got out of her car I bent on one knee and held out the ring." His words were now almost getting quieter. "I didn't get the chance to ask her the whole question before I felt a stab in the back. I remember her having tears in her eyes as she ran to me. My eyes were so blurry by then." I could see blood drop from the corner of his eyes. "The stranger lifted her up off the ground while she said something about saving me. The next thing I remember is fangs being on my neck and then blood in my mouth. I fell unconscious after that, and woke up with the want of blood. After that I swore I would find her and help get rid of bloodsuckers."