Chapter 12: Missing

Chapter 12: Missing

"Hey Girl... whoa, your bruise is gone!" Said Wynn as I stormed into our apartment.

"It's just makeup," I snapped, heading towards my room. "I do own cover up."

"Yikes." Wynn, who'd been in the middle of cleaning up whatever she'd made for dinner, held a soapy spatula aloft in surrender. "Someone's in a mood."

I didn't hang around to spar with her. I went immediately into my room and closed the door.

What a day. Had it only been this morning that my absentee father told me I was part demon and taunted me with a Credence Clearwater Revival song?

I collapsed on the bed and rubbed my eyes and before I could talk myself out of it, I had Cal's number dialed and the phone pressed to my ear.

The phone rang twice.

"I know it's been less than 48 hours..." the warm fondness in Cal's voice sent a pang through my mid gut. "...But I was beginning to think I was going to have to break my promise to let you make the next move..."

I sat up and hung my head, letting my hair block the light from my bedside lamp.

"Been a bit busy," I said. Had it been less than 48 hours? He'd left my apartment on Tuesday morning and it was... It was Wednesday night. It felt as if a lifetime had passed.

But it hadn't. If I took my makeup off and stepped out of my clothing, I'd see all the bruises from last night.

"I'm sure it's been crazy," said Cal. "I've got time if you want to talk about it."

I did, I realized. I wanted to tell him all of it. Ralph, Robin, Schiennan, Sin, Brandon, Paz, my father, Amelia, MacNair, Andy and Ken... So much had happened since Tuesday morning. I felt like hairdryer that had been plugged into an overworked socket: fried.

"I, ah..." Just do it, Eva. "I met your friend, today."

"My friend?" Cal sounded curious. "Which one?"

"Actually, I didn't get her name. I met her at the Prudential Center tonight. She was working at the Raven's Nest kiosk downstairs for a Halloween pop up."

Cal didn't respond immediately. After a second he asked. "Your height? Brown hair?" Please. He was stalling. He knew exactly whom I'd run into.

"Yup."

"Her name is Morgan," he supplied.

"Morgan." Seemed appropriately witchy. "I met her."

Cal didn't say anything for a moment. I didn't either. I didn't know what to say. Finally, Cal cleared his throat. "I should probably come over there. Unless you want to come over here. But this is a conversation we should have in person."

I agreed. I didn't want to have this conversation over the phone. "Better come here," I said. I had the fortifications, after all.

"I'm leaving now," said Cal.



Wynn left to go spend the night at Robin's. I spent forty minutes sitting on the couch and listening to Joy Division and trying to calm down/mellow out before someone knocked on the door. Because I'd become a bit paranoid after the last attack on my life, I checked the peephole, relieved and also anxious to see Cal standing on my doorstep, looking solemn.

Hauling in a deep breath I opened the door. "Hi."

"Hey." Cal wore a pair of jeans and a blue t-shirt from his college swim team. His dark blond hair looked like he'd had his hands in it, and though he looked a good deal better than the last time I'd seen him (when I'd all but drained the life out of him) he still looked tired.