Chapter 4

The present: Outside the venue

Sigh.

Maahi had a feeling that this project was going to be a lot more tiring than usual. She was right outside the venue, still in her car, observing the place quietly. But the venue evoked a sense of calm. For starters, it was ridiculously green. She felt like she was at a coffee estate in Coorg. Wedding venues were more often than not chaotic. But this place seemed like it knew how to iron out the mess.

She got inside the venue and veered the car into the parking lot. She got out of the car and made to take her bags out. She quickly dashed a text on the family group telling them that she had reached safely. True to form, Dadaji was the first one to send a thumbs-up emoji followed by a heart emoji.

She pulled out her phone and called the one number she had. This project had been so last minute that she hadn't even had the time to talk to the bride and groom.

Maahi picked up her backpack and pulled the small strolley as she made her way, phone in one hand. She reached the reception and was about to give her name when...

"Maahi!"

She turned around and saw a girl with her head bent down, huffing. She raised her head and wheezed out, "Hi..."

Maahi lowered herself and asked, "Hey, you okay? Shall I ask for some water?"

The girl waved her away and said between breaths, "No, no, I'm fine...I just ran...the entire length of the estate...the minute...I saw your number pop up..."

Maahi straightened and gestured quietly at the receptionist for some water. He nodded, poured a glass and handed it to her.

"Here you go. Take a sip."

Contrary to her earlier claim, she reached out for the glass and downed it in one go. A few moments later, she broke into a smile and looked at the receptionist to say, "Thanks!"

The receptionist turned pink and looked down, unable to say anything. Maahi wanted to laugh at the effect this girl had on everyone.

She reached out a hand and said, "Hi Naina, nice to meet you again."

Naina grabbed Maahi's hand, shook it and immediately pulled her towards the reception desk.

"Come, come." She looked at the receptionist and asked, "Hi! I have a cabin reserved for Ms. Mehra."

As the receptionist busied himself with the process, Naina turned around to Maahi and said, "You're here!"

It was just the way she said it. With a small tilt of the head, a radiant smile, a tone that indicated how happy she was to have her here...All combined, Maahi really wasn't surprised the receptionist had a crush on her. If she spent any more time with her, she might develop one too.

Maahi smiled and said, "Yes! How are you doing? How's the prep coming along?"

She shrugged and said, "Oh you know how it is. I feel like I've been running all over the place trying to get everything in order but something new crops up every minute. It doesn't help that my grandmother is running point on the whole wedding and I'm just following her wishes."

Maahi nodded and asked, "How about the planner? I remember you mentioning your sister had hired one because she wanted nothing to do with the planning and actually wanted a very small affair?"

Naina thanked the receptionist for the key and started walking, asking Maahi to join her. She let out a chuckle at the question and said, "Well when you meet Nani, you'll know. She likes things done her way and that means she needs me to ghusao my naak in everything to ensure that happens." She sighed at the end, letting out more exhaustion than she had intended to.

Maahi felt an odd mix of amusement and understanding at that. She, of all people, knew what it was like to have a grandparent with a zest to make all things fun.

Maahi then asked, "So...tell me about your sister and her fiancé. How did they meet?"

Naina turned around and smiled at her to ask, "Do you have a minute?"

Oh. It seemed like there was a story here.

"Sure?"

After a moment, she laughed and said, "Okay, long story short, they met through their respective balconies."

That painted a rather interesting picture in Maahi's head. She frowned and asked, "Wait like an old-school chhat romance? He would come to see her dry out washed clothes in the sun and she would laugh at his foolish antics?"

Naina guffawed and said, "Oh wow! You have a very vivid imagination, don't you? No, no. Think more...Mumbai high-rise. They didn't even see each other for like a week. She just hated his taste in music so she tossed a note in his balcony above, asking him to shut up."

Maahi frown deepened.

"What? How the heck did the note even land in his balcony?"

"I know, right??? A lot of people ask that question. But it is what it is. And here they are now."

Maahi nodded slowly, still trying to take in the story. A balcony romance. The universe literally planted the one in the house next to this girl and here she was swiping left and right on idiots.

"Okay, I'm going to chalk it down to neighbours. Easier for me to digest."

Naina held her hand and said, "You know they weren't even neighbours! His house had flooded and he needed a place to crash for a couple of weeks. This was his friend's house! Like what is destiny even, am I right?"

Maahi sighed and said, "Stop it, please."

Naina laughed loudly and said, "Yeah, yeah, I know. I'll stop. Their story is ridiculous. But I'm just saying. Don't rule out neighbours. Even if they're temporary."

Maahi shot out a thumbs-up and kept walking resolutely towards her cabin.