45. Quiet Savior.

Y/N's arms and legs seared with pain and even though they were only separated from the soldiers chasing them by a blockade of burning debris Y/N could only take a few steps before her legs buckled beneath her from the pain. She was sobbing as the burns on her arms and legs continued to sting.

Even though Enicia was burned too she scooped Y/N up and managed to carry her a good distance away from the fire before eventually slumping against the remaining wall of a collapsed building. The sounds of the fires consuming the city could still be heard, along with the creaks and groans from the buildings as the heat began to make their foundations shift, and the savage cries of the enemy army as they continued to loot and destroy the city.

Y/N continued to bawl from both fear and pain, and despite her best efforts to comfort her Enicia could not get the little girl to calm down. After several minutes she heard the faint sound of footsteps on the stone and tried to pick Y/N up to run away, only to find that her burned legs didn't have the strength to stand. Unable to flee Enicia wrapped herself around the sobbing girl protectively and pressed closer to the crumbling brick wall behind them as a figure drew closer through the hazy smoke and ash hanging in the air.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she was sure they were about to die. The sound of crunching footsteps stopped right in front of them, and the dim flickering light from the fires cast the shadow of the stranger over them. Enicia gripped Y/N even tighter and the presence of the stranger shocked the little girl out of crying, but some tears still slid down her cheeks as she looked up in fear.

The man was tall and despite the soot that covered most of his body she could still recognize that his tattered clothes were much too fine to have belonged to any civilian. His long black hair hung loosely down his back and some of the graey ashes drifting in the smoky air had landed on him like strange snow. His eyes were a deep shade of indigo so bright that they almost appeared to be glowing, but they held a great sorrow in their blue depths.

He knelt down in front of them and Y/N let out a stifled scream as he reached towards her. He raised his hands, gesturing that he meant no harm. He took a canteen that had been slung around his shoulders and opened it, pouring water over the burns on Y/N's arms and legs. It stung but the coolness of it felt so good against her singed skin that she didn't care.

Once all her burns had been washed the stranger then did the same to Enicia with the remaining water. The governess offered him a weary but grateful smile, "thank you for helping us, but who are you?" she asked, unable to resist the curiosity she felt towards him.

He did not speak and only shook his head, several strands of raven hair falling into his face. Still, without saying a word he reached out and tore a strip from the bottom of Y/N's skirt, causing her to flinch. He took the cloth and used it as a makeshift bandage, wrapping her arms and legs with it. He did the same thing for Enicia's burns before he got back on his feet and motioned for them to stand up with him.

"I'm afraid that we can't stand with our injuries, let alone walk," Enicia sighed as she tried again to stand only for her legs to buckle under her. "Thank you for your kindness but I'm afraid you'll have to leave us here."

Instead of following her words he knelt back down and cupped Y/N's cheek in his hand gently before he scooped her into his arms, holding her in a paternal way. Once he got back on his feet he offered a hand to Enicia.

Shakily she took it and got to her feet. The stranger wrapped her arm around his shoulder and helped support her as they began walking down the hazy street. Y/N's lungs stung from breathing in the hot smoke into her lungs and coughs interlaced with her quiet sobs.

Enicia wasn't doing much better but she forced herself to keep limping forward, trying to ignore the pain in her legs and the sorrow she felt at the sight of the once beautiful city up in flames. "Excuse me, but where are you taking us?" She tried to start up a conversation with the strange man again.

He only pursed his lips and shook his head in response, not speaking a word. After several more minutes of walking through the smoldering streets, they arrived in a tiny square where a decrepit wagon sat with two restless mules yoked to it.

He led them over to it and helped them both climb up into the back of the wagon where have a dozen other people were huddled, all covered in soot and badly shaken. The silent gentleman looked towards the farmer who seemed to be the owner of the cart and nodded his head.

"Aren't you coming with us?" Enicia asked the man who had saved them when she noticed that he was not climbing in the cart.

Just like before, he did not say a word and just shook his head sadly before turning and walking away down the street while buildings continued to crumble and burn all around them. Y/N watched his figure grow smaller and less distinct as the wagon began to move, carrying the few survivors of the Luccian army's crushing attack out of the flaming city.

Y/N continued to look behind them until the city was little more than an orange glow on the horizon. She shivered, even though her wounds still burned the night air felt incredibly cold. She gazed back at the dark clouds of smoke rising above what was once her home, everything she had ever known was consumed by flames in a single night.

A/N

Sorry to keep leaving you all on cliffhangers but I couldn't resist another dream flashback. ^~^

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~