Chapter 12

The man before me wasn't a pleasant sight to behold, for more reasons than one.

I didn't mean that in the sense that he was ugly (he was, he looked like a bulldog without the cute), but more that he was one of the last people I ever wanted on my doorstep.

"Jack," I gave the brutish man a nod. He grinned, giving me a full view of blackened teeth. Jack has been a regular caller to the house ever since Henry took a downward spiral. Jack was usually the one guy I actively avoided.

A full fight broke out in the house once. Jack, of course, being the cause of the whole damn thing. The group managed to move the fight outside and some neighbour rang the police.

"Thought you cleared out," he mused, "bet the lads will be glad to hear that their best little mate is back."

"What do you want, Jack?" I asked him, as blunt as I could make it.

"Who said I wanted anything? I was in the area and saw the lights on. Can't blame me for being curious seeing as your old man croaked," he shrugged, putting his hands into his pockets casually.

I'd put money on the fact that it was Jack's stuff that Henry overdosed on.

"Plus," he added with an afterthought, "Henry owed me some money and I thought it'd be in there."

I narrowed my eyes at him, "haven't seen any money."

"That's because you don't know where to look," he tried to weasel his way in through the small space between me and the door. I snapped it shut quicker than he moved.

"Ah come on, Sammy," he pouted. I'm sure he intended to make me feel bad for him - but it had the opposite effect. I was more on edge.

"Sam? Everything okay?" Violet's voice travelled up the hall. My eyes darted to Jack who raised his eyebrows in a suggestive way.

"Who've you got there? A lady friend?" his cooed, trying to peer behind me. I just glared at him, motioning with my hand behind me for Violet to get the hell back.

Spurned on the fact that I literally just tried to shoo my own mother, she doesn't listen and pried me away from the door.

Jack's eyes grew wide with the side of Violet, still clad in her summer dress.

"Why hello there," he greeted, in what I'm sure he thought was his flirtatious tone. I gritted my teeth together, wanting nothing more than to slam the door in his self righteous face.

"How can we help you?" Violet asked pleasantly, unaware of the danger that she's putting herself in. Her tone was cautious, but she was opening the door a little more.

"I was just passing through, saw the lights on. You see, Henry left something in here for me and I was here to get it," he explained, as sweet as sugar.

Get me a damn bucket.

Violet smiled and looked back at me like I had been rude. "What're you here to get? Sam and I will help find it."

"Don't," I warned in a low voice, keeping my eyes on Jack the whole time, as Violet opened the door that bit more.

"Don't be silly," Violet scolded, trying to pry the door open from my vice like grip.

"Yeah, don't be silly, Sammy," Jack smirked at me, hand still in his pocket.

Having a sinking feeling in my gut, I roughly pushed Violet behind me just in time to see Jack brandish a knife from his pocket - alerted by my movement.

I vaguely heard Violet yell out, either from the impact of the ground or the sight of the knife. Jack manages to swipe my shirt - just about nicking my skin. Enough to draw blood.