Chapter 11 - Dawn

Chapter 11 – Dawn

 I fold into half Stone’s envelope and store it inside my bag. Weirdly, I have this bad feeling about the content of the envelope. While on my way to the hospital, I tried to fight the temptation of opening it. I just feel that it is going to exacerbate the situation.

No. I fear that what might be inside might totally change my opinion of Hunter Stone. I am dead set of hating the man. No miracles will change that. However, I got this strong feeling that this envelope contains some magic that might actually dither my already established judgment of this ridiculous man. It’s just that I’m not ready for that.

There are few job openings in the city, for instance, a hardware shop in need of a store clerk, the city museum short of a utility staff, a few restaurants urgently hiring kitchen crewmembers, and many more. But if I were to have a job like a waitress again, I’d better come back to Max’s. I’m sure Mr. Nguyen and Mr. Maxwell will take me back. Getting a job in Trenton will be more costly. Everyday bus transportation will cost more than what I will spend if I stay in Princeton. And if I choose to rent an apartment, then I will have to cut down my expenses and learn to be more frugal. To what extent can I stretch this frugality? I think this is the worst I can get.

When I reach Princeton, I waste no time. I right away send my resume to publishing companies or just plain business in need of executive assistants, operation officers, go-to-guys, or anything that is in my book. There’s this one law office—a starting one, I guess—that is in need of a secretary. It was the only that asked me to come back for an interview in a fortnight. Looks like I’d have a good shot with it. It won’t be difficult to do what secretaries do, I think. For the meantime, while I wait for replies from the publishing companies I have applied in to, the job will do.

It is Mom’s time to rest so I am taking over watching after Dad. Ray will arrive in an hour. He just had some papers he needs to process for his new work.

While Dad is asleep, I remember Stone’s envelope. I take it out from my bag and begin reading it.

____________________________________________________________________________

EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT

THIS EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT dated this _________________.

BETWEEN:

Mr. Hunter Stone   of   Stone Holdings, INC.

(the “Employer”)

-AND-

Miss Angel Mohr   of   42-A Dale Street, Northumber Avenue, Princeton, New Jersey

(the ‘Employee”)

BACKGROUND:

A.    The Employer is of the opinion that the Employee has the necessary qualifications, experience, and abilities to assist and benefit the Employer in its “business”.

B.    The Employer desires to employ the Employee and the Employee has agreed to accept and enter such employment upon the terms set out in this Agreement.

IN CONSIDERATION OF the matters described above and of the mutual benefits and obligations set for in this Agreement, the recipient and sufficiency of which consideration is hereby acknowledged, the parties to this Agreement agree as follows: