Chapter 35 ~ Formalities

Chapter 35: Formalities

"It's arranged then?" I asked, rubbing my hands together.

Mum nodded. "They'll be here on Saturday. That gives your father time to recover a bit more. We'll tighten our ranks and invite those of the pack that live nearby. It will be good for them to see Roarke greet the council."

"It'll mean a busy house."

"Which will look like business as usual," she pointed out.

Bowing my head and bearing my neck, I submitted to my Alpha Female's wishes. I was still conflicted about having so many wolves around Braden, but a show of strength and unity was needed.

Mum smiled and brushed her fingers against my cheek until my frown softened. "Will Ebbe be standing by your side when the council arrives?"

"Ah, um." Blushing, my gaze darted around the hallway. "Actually, I've been meaning to speak to you and Dad about Ebbe and I."

The look of delight, even though I hadn't really said anything, only made my skin burn more. How many of my family and friends had seen this coming?

Traditions were traditions though. And there were certain formalities that had to be adhered to. Ones that would cement the decisions Ebbe and I had made.

"Go and find Ebbe then, my pup. When your father comes down to speak to Braden, you can tell us what you need to about you and him, okay?"

My heart skipped a nervous beat in my chest. "Okay."

With another chuckle, she brushed past me to head upstairs where Sam was giving Dad another quick check over. If she gave the thumbs up, he'd be allowed to go down to speak to Braden. With me, hopefully. Even if our Alpha was back in his feet, he hadn't made mention of taking my new responsibilities away from me. If he tried to, it would time to put into practice what Jakkon had taught me.

First thing first, though.

Spinning on my heel, I tipped my head up and scented the air for sweet wildflowers. Following the trail to the backdoor, a nervous twist of my stomach filled me with doubts about Ebbe's promise of not running off. But I should have trusted him. Peering out the window, I smiled at the sight that greeted me. Two pups rolled about the garden, Jamie and Basjan in fur with small fangs nipping at each other. Oria and Maebh sat in the green, daisy speckled grass alongside, much to my surprise, Ebbe.

Ebbe, who wore a daisy-chain crown and was beaming at the little she-wolf as she made sure it was sat just right on his head. Maebh was normally terrified of strangers. I should have known she'd take to the wild male from the forests, I mused as I stepped outside.

A bright sun burned in a sea of blue, and the warm breeze gave no relief from the heat that already had my skin flushing red. That was easy to ignore amongst the buzz of wildlife that filled the air; birds singing from the nearby trees in harmony with rustling leaves, yips and playful growls from the two young males running around. I wished I could have stayed out here and enjoyed the last few days of summer heat we would have before it rained for days on end.

Ebbe looked up when my shadow fell over him, an easy smile gracing his features, blue eyes as clear of tangled hair that normally shadowed his face.

"I'm afraid I need to steal you away." Fingering the crown he wore, there wasn't any sign of embarrassment from him at being caught playing princess of the fairfolk. "Maebh has made you look very pretty."

"She's done a beautiful job," he agreed, grinning at Oria and Maebh. "Thank you for letting me join you."

"You're welcome anytime." Oria smiled brightly and lifted Maebh from Ebbe's lap, giving me a small wink.