VI - Weak (Jack)

"1 train to 23rd Street Station, now arriving."

My eyes twitched open as a squealing sound filled the atmosphere. It was almost deafening to freshly awakened ears. I rubbed my eyes awake and tried to adjust myself to my surroundings.

Train station. Train station. Train station?

I don't remember coming to a train station. What happened while I was out? Or...before? Did we plan a trip? How long was I asleep? The last thing I remember was a party, and then we were at a weird facility with some kind of cult doing awful things to us, and then I-

Oh yeah.

It started coming back to me then. Fragments, but enough to remember, and enough to know where I was and how I got there. I was sick yesterday. Really sick. I can only barely remember it, even now as I write this. I couldn't have told Adam and Ryan, but I had been starting to wonder if I was gonna make it. I couldn't even tell what was wrong with me, I just felt...empty. Not even metaphorically. Just like all life had left my body, and yet...I was still alive. I can't find the words to describe it. Somehow, though, I was still here, and that empty feeling was...mostly gone, anyway.

I sat watching the metallic body of the train flash by on the track, too fast to keep up with. Adam and Ryan shuffled upright on either side of me and joined in watching the train. We sat in silence for a few moments as the train gradually slowed to a stop.

"How are you feeling?" Ryan asked gingerly.

"Like shit." I scoffed.

"Well, you sound better." He leaned on his hand.

"I think I am, a little. I'm not sure. I don't really...remember much of yesterday."

"...Oh. How convenient." Ryan seemed concerned.

"What is it?"

"It's just...it always seems like something new with you. First, you wouldn't wake up, then you were limp and frail to the point you couldn't walk, and then your stomach, and now you just...don't remember any of that?" He stared into the distance and slumped his shoulders. "Something seems...off...about that. I'm not saying any of it's your fault or you're faking it, but it scares me."

I met the gaze of the floor tiles. "What do you think it is?"

Ryan shook his head.

Adam hesitated before speaking, "Do...do you think it's the serum they gave us?"

"We didn't have any reaction to that, though," Ryan dismissed.

"Who's to say he didn't?"

Oh god.

My stomach knotted. Adam was probably right and I hated that he was. I tried to act like I wasn't bothered, but I don't think I was doing a very good job of it.

"1 train to 23rd Street Station, last call."

"That's us, guys," Adam signaled, getting to his feet.

Ryan and I followed him in the direction of the train. This was it. We were going home. I could see my home again. I was about to step on the train.

"Jack?"

There was a whisper in my ear. I jumped and turned to look behind me. The nearest person was a good four or five feet away, and I doubt they'd be able to make themselves look innocent in that short amount of time. What was happening? I froze in place, unsure of what to make of the situation.