Chapter One - Dawn Breaks

Sunlight streamed into the apartment from the window, gently coming to rest on Sorin's face. The warmth shone through their eyelids, apparently trying to rouse them from their peaceful slumber. The sunlight succeeded. The day was new, and it seemed to be cloudless from how damn bright it was. Ugh. Sorin wondered why they couldn't just sleep in peace, even though they knew today's waking up was no different from any other.

It was a big day, that was understood, and yet Sorin was fueled only by spite. At that point in consciousness they certainly could have roused themself at any point, and yet just to somehow refuse their namesake a little longer, they stayed in bed for almost another fifteen minutes, just relaxing in the light, dreaming about the day to come.

They were having a lovely time, floating in the sweet embrace of dreams, when from out of nowhere, an entire human just flopped on top of them and stuck an elbow into their ribs. With a yelp of indignance, they finally opened their eyes, swatting at the assailant on top of them.

"Get off!" they growled, still wanting to be asleep.

"No," She replied to her stubborn friend. "It is time to wake up. You have a big day ahead of you, and I made coffee. If you let your coffee get cold I will never forgive you for as long as I live." She rolled over top of Sorin, bracing her legs against the wall for leverage, clearly about to push them off the bed.

"Aaagh! Fine!" they said, sitting up hastily on their palms and dangling their legs off the bed. "Cody, your coffee is the worst anyway. Who wants to drink bitter, black coffee," they grumbled, shaking the last remnants of sleep off.

"If you want your disgusting sweet coffee, you can come add the creamer yourself," Cody said with a chuckle, rolling back over top of Sorin and making her way over to the kitchen where the coffee was presumably waiting.

Sorin stood up and stretched their shoulders back and forth, letting the sun spill over their shoulders, creating a light warmth, as if welcoming them to the new day. Getting up and giving one more big stretch, they padded over to the kitchen as well, letting their eyes adjust to the daylight. Grabbing their vanilla creamer from the refrigerator, they scooted over next to Cody and poured a cup of coffee, watching the black coffee swirl together with the white. They stirred it together, creating a tan color, and took a sip, testing their concoction. It was still a little bitter, so they added another dash of sweetener.

"Ha, you're such a baby about your coffee," Cody remarked, sidling up next to Sorin with a coffee as dark as squid ink and demon tears. "For such a "Big Bad Villain™", I'd expect you to be drinking straight whiskey mixed with the blood of children."

"Sorry to disappoint," Sorin joked back, "Although I would drink the blood of a child if given the chance."

Cody rolled her eyes with a laugh. "Whatever. You work at a coffee shop and take your baby cousin out for ice cream every time he's in town."

Sorin opened their mouth indignantly. "Silence! He is the exception." They swallowed down the rest of their coffee with a content look on their face, then walked over to the closet. "Plus, don't be questioning my villainy," they said jokingly, flipping through their clothes and selecting some work clothes for the day. "I don't think normal henchmen make fun of their bosses."

"Ha! Sidekick is the lowest label I could have. I'm basically the mastermind myself. But speaking of your "villainy," you need to grab your outfit and remember to bring your knives today."

"What? Why?" Sorin asked, giving Cody a confused look while walking to grab a stool from the pantry.

"Don't you remember? You have your meeting with Lightfang today."